Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me 69S lightweight cars and Irish Green

Show me 69S lightweight cars and Irish Green

I have a pending project that needs a little motivation. It's a 69S with a non matching engine so I'm not afraid to deviate from original a bit. It is also missing all of the interior so I see no problem with going with a lightweight, simple interior.

My ST is a grunt beast with the 3.6 so I want to build this into a lightweight, lower displacement, high revving 911.

The original color was Irish Green. It has had a color change but will need a full resto so going back to original seems to be the only choice. The problem is, I'm not real fond of Irish Green. I need some inspiration or thoughts on how a color change would affect the value.

The car with the yellow Cibie's seems to be more of a British Racing Green, which I like better...seems to have more yellow in the paint. Would that classify as a "color change"?
    Give me some ideas, please post photos!

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I believe Freddy Hernandez painted the car with the yellow cibies. I have been a fan of his threads on here for a long time (he does not seem to have posted for ages which is a shame) so I am sure he will have got his Irish green formulation spot on as he is such a perfectionist. Stunning looking car.

Irish green (and in a similar era, burgundy) are such underrated early 911 colours. My vote would be to stick with the original.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

There are many experts on this forum with more knowledge on this than me, but a few thoughts:

First, those greens are different, however don't discount the influence of sunlight differences in the photos, as well as the Cibie Pallas yellow covers on your "eye" - you may find holding those covers up to an Irish Green in the sunlight gets you close.

Next, there are plenty of posts and views on the value of (a) original paint, and (b) resprayed original color, and all are valuable reads. For me, in all my research, I think it comes down to two factors: what are you building, and who are you building it for. If you are building it to an original showroom condition, then deviation matters and will impact value. If you are building it for a near to mid term sale, original color may matter, as much as a "market" view of color popularity would matter, as much as the caliber of paint job quality would matter.

It sounds like neither of those are true in your case. As such, I would say build it the way you want, in the color you want, at the quality you will continue to appreciate, in a package that gives you pure enjoyment, and get your first "stream of value" that way, and if you ever make the mistake of parting with it, I suspect your second stream of value will come with a buyer, or buyers, who see the world similarly.

Sounds like a great project - enjoy the journey - make it awesome!

Choices

Hey, endo . . . .

Just some thoughts . . .

I know that there's a lot of attention paid here to 'matching' this and 'original' that. And I'm always heartened to see people's appreciation for keeping their cars as 'Porsche' as possible, but . . .

. . . once the original motor's gone --- I'd feel pretty free to do as I pleased, meaning . . . updating to an appropriate motor, adding-on any options that I liked + whatever period flourishes that suited me . . .

. . . and even changing the color

There's already a really spectacular example of this, here --- Flunder's '71 ST replica . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=hotrod

Thoughtful + well-done cars have their own special appeal, not-to-mention value

How many of us would love to do the same --- to build our own Period Hot Rod . . . if only we had the car . . .

. . . and the resources

If it were me? --- I'd get the bodywork as straight + tidy as I could comfortably manage, build-up a fun little hi-compression short-stroke something-or-another, try to get the look/feel of Porsche's 911 'GTS' cars --- see post #33 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...n-models/page4

. . . then?

. . . paint it any color I wanted

Maybe, even green . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=catalog+green

Enjoy your choices

And --- whatever you do . . . please keep us posted?

We Can Be Heroes

Have a good painter paint some test panels with your choice of colors. Make sure who ever does this uses the same substrate they plan to prime, seal and finish. Substrates can affect top coat color as can the choice of clears if base coat clear is used. The test panel should be at least a foot by two feet, view it inside and out in indirect and direct light so you can see the differences under those lighting conditions. Compare it to what you like. Then decide. Never choose a color from a chip or photo in my opinion...that is just the starting point.

Some of the "old" colors that are now popular are tough colors to match.

And remember, we all see colors differently.
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

I can't wait for the CN magic to unfold. You are my hero. The resto mod king sans the publicity.

Here's my Irish green Targa. Personally I like the color, I think that it is an elegant look that is complemented by chrome. This one was built for grand touring, older pictures do not show the addition of chrome through the grill lights, I installed heated sport seats w/ houndstooth centers. 2.7 CIS motor, additional chassis reinforcement, flares. The A/C installation is in its final stages, just in time for winter
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Rob Abbott

I believe this belongs to an Aussie named "Matt". Love the steelies. My '68L is "6606" as well. Struggling with the same issue for the same reason. Currently Polo Red in need of a repaint.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Beautiful Tagra Rob!

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming!

A couple guys in our region have Irish Green 911's...then we have a couple dark blue cars, and a couple silver cars. Being from the Pacific Northwest, we look like the dark and gloomy Gruppe.

I'd like to give this thing a splash of color but give it some Irish green roots.

I also think the steelies or the non painted Fuchs look the best with this color.

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #