Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo tie rods and SWB racks

Turbo tie rods and SWB racks

Somebody out there must know this!!

Why can't the currently available Turbo tie rod kit be fitted to a SWB steering rack??

Have asked several of the "old dawgs," and no one has apparently crossed that bridge.

Asked the Pelican guys and got an inane/generic response about the "flexibility" of the original tie rod!! Duh! Nothing about the fit.

There has to be something about dimensions.....threads?? Length differences between SWB and LWB??

Has someone done this, and what had to be done to adapt??
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

The OE turbo arms are to short to work on SWB cars. Elephant offers them now
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

I installed the Elephant ones on my car. Worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 911quest View Post
    The OE turbo arms are to short to work on SWB cars. Elephant offers them now
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

You just need some track rod ends that are slightly longer.

Rover 200/400 fit perfectly and are very cost effective at about $10 each.

There is also a Hyundai Tie Rod with the correct threads that is slightly longer that the Porsche part and this fits with the standard track rod end.

I think the Rover TRE is the best option.

Mark, the issue is thread engagement. With the toe set, there are only a couple threads holding the inboard end into the rack.

As stated above there are later solutions that work. I don't notice any slop in the steering caused by the original (new) bushings but I am not racing.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

chris_seven,
    Do you have a PN or source for the Rover 200/400 tie rod ends?
    Thanks,
    Ken

Ken,

I will find some numbers in the morning but they are readily available here in the UK.

I would be happy to buy a bagful and pass them on at cost and arrange shipping if a few people want them.

Delphi Part Number TA 1251- Available in both LH and RH Thread.

I have the turbo tie rods on a SWB steering rack, but with LWB A-arms/spindles. They work fine in that application, FWIW.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Now that's interesting......my original question was around the fitment to the SWB rack.

I am also updating to later A-arms and ball joints. I have not put the two side by side, but as per 911scfanatic the spindle positioning and dimensions of the later A-arms and struts allow for the shorter turbo units without a thread depth issue??

To summarize??? Simply installing turbo rods in a SWB car with original rack and A-arms require longer rods, BUT.....updating the A-arms and struts will allow the shorter tie rods???

I could have figured this all out by putting my LWB and SWB cars up side by side and measuring.....but dipping into the knowledge and experience well here has saved a lot of on my knees and back time!!! I'm getting too old!!
    Last edited by smedley; 10-10-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series