Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche returns to Le Mans 2014 - worm up

3. place in Silverstone (6 hour race), well done...

Toyota at 1 and 2, Audi with both cars out.
    911 S 1967 and ...

Porsche have some work to do,but good first outing.
    One porsche lost its wheel!
    Toyota pulls away from porsche out of the corners,porsche top speed in practice 30km more than audi.
    Both audi crash on slippery silverstone wet & cold track,lemans should be good,audi clearly worried!!!

I watched a fair amount of it on TV but here in Australia i had speed channel for pictures but it had radio le mans over the top for commentary so it was difficult to hear the commentary. However I THINK i heard them say that Porsche was running the low down force body as a practice for le mans while Toyota and Audi has high downforce bodywork which gave better grip at the silverstone circuit. that would also help explain the top speed differential as well as the (relative) lack of acceleration out of corners on a cold slippery track. Does anyone else know if this is correct??

Also i was staggered at the relative speed differential between the prototypes and the GT cars - unbelievable to watch
    It suggests that le mans this year is going to be a great race
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

The lemans body work does not make sense realy for silverstone,after all its a race and surely porsche was there to win.
    The toyotas were pulling away out of slow corners where downforce has little effect,it was strange in the wet,the toyota reeled webber and passed/ left him,then a couple of laps later webber reeled him back in,may be a lot of learning going on.
    Exciting to see porsche back at it,embarrasing to lose a wheel though!May the same person who designed the new gt3 engine was on the wheel gun.

It seemed that the 919 was consistently 1 second or more a lap slower than the Toyotas. Hopefully this was just a shakedown run and not a portent of things to come.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Le Mans is totaly different. But it was a good start for Porsche. Will be a great race on the 24h
    911 S 1967 and ...

I think porsche did well , the toyotas have 2 seasons under there belt and they did seem to handle badly in the wet conditions through some crns compared to the porsches. I doubt the team orders on the first outing would be race and beat everyone at all cost.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Hugh, I purchased the WEC app on my iPhone and streamed it through my AppleTV, and it was seamless. It had the Radio LeMans commentary, and the interactive map etc. Brilliant!

The Radio LeMans guys were talking about the speed differential also. Seems the hybrid torque really get them up and running quickly and that is where they get the massive speed differential when pulling away and overtaking. As you say, it was massive!

Audi would be fuming. Toyota stoked. Porsche very content with the LMP1 performance of the no.20 car, and pretty chuffed with the GT Pro result of 1st and 2nd.

Good weekend all round I would say.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

They look like rolling billboards. I guess the aero must be ugly to go fast