Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI Backfire

MFI Backfire

Plenty of power, pulls strongly to 7K plus. Off throttle backfires, deminishes after getting warmed up but never entirely goes away.
    Car is set up with headers and no warm up equipment.
    Any thoughts on cause? Minor exhaust leak?

Thanks!

I'd definitely start by a thorough check of the exhaust. Even small leaks can cause off throttle backfiring. It's seemingly worse with headers. I recently had something similar. It was a tiny crack right at the seam of the collector. A quick weld fixed it right up.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Is your speed switch working?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

You may have a backfire because your MFI is set a little rich to compensate for the lack of the warm up thermostat. It also could be a lean pop during warm up because MFI needs a little enrichment during warm up.

most likely as bliebler said - mfi running rich - dial it in - also check for throttlebody wear
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Is your speed switch working?
    Yes just installed a NOS unit sourced by the Legend- Jim B of Easy

Quote Originally Posted by bliebler View Post
    You may have a backfire because your MFI is set a little rich to compensate for the lack of the warm up thermostat. It also could be a lean pop during warm up because MFI needs a little enrichment during warm up.
    It was leaned out slightly. Same result.

timing advance and valve adjustment
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Yeah, basically you need to make the sure the so-called basic adjustment is right and then proceed to diagnosis. The basic adjustment is points/dwell, plugs good and gapped correctly, timing belt set correctly, distributor timing correct, basic correlation correct (length of that one rod has to be 21Xmm), etc. Then you can start to tune. There is a whole list of steps in the "Check, Measure, Adjust" book that should be available as a pdf. That is a really good reference. I have it but the file exceeds the limit. Maybe it's in an archive on the site somewhere. Worst case I can email it.

When I went down this path I ended up getting the basic MFI toolset of 3 long-handled drivers, as well as a Gunson CO tester.
    Jeff Jensen

member #1515
    usually it's that little switch being misadjusted as mentioned above. just because you changed it doesn't mean it's dialed in. another common fault is leaving ones foot on the accelerator, take it completely off as just the weight of your foot can crack the throttle plates. points closing up can also cause this. as jeff says above, follow CMA procedure.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs