Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: A gal named Elsie and her little Tornado...

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    What Dave is getting at is that gear oil designed for standard type hypoid gear differentials may be too slick! Hypoid gear lube has a lot of extreme pressure additive in for the differential gears, the Porsche diff is spiral bevel, not hypoid (hypoid means the pinion gear is below the centerline of the ring gear) that additive doesn't allow for enough 'friction' to allow servo type synchronizers to do their job. Servo type synchronizers are totally different in requirements the usual cone type synchro. Look in your owners manual, in there it will state what type of oil to use.
    I see... and I know Swepco is highly regarded in these circles, can't argue with that! The other stuff is what I had there at the time and I figured I would change it while I had the car in the air. I looked in the owner's manual at the time. Here's the passage (1973 Owner's Manual "911 T/E/S", page 53)

Both transmission and final drive are combined in one housing. The lubricant used is hypoid oil that is changed by your dealer at 1000 miles and then every 10,000 miles as part of the lubrication service. See Maintenance Record.
    The transmission is checked for leaks during the maintenance service. Should the need arise to replenish the oil filling, it should only be done with the necessary workshop equipment. Generally hypoid oil is not marketed in small quantities.

(too lazy to type all of this part) ......... Changing Transmission Oil: ........... (blah, blah)

5. Fill transmission with approx. 3.17 US qts. (2.63 Imp. qts.) SAE 90 transmission oil, Mil-L-2105 B (or Mil-L-2105). .....

Now, I'm not saying the manual is right. Hell, the manual for my 2005 SRT-10 Ram says the truck takes 13.5qts of oil when it only has a 9qt oil pan. (They copy and pasted that part from the Viper manual, and the Viper has a bigger pan.)
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

The important part is the mil-spec, and I thought it also mentioned a GL # such as GL-4. I'm not for sure saying what you put in is wrong, just want to make you aware that if you use a 'slippery' oil the synchros won't work as well. And yes, the newer transaxles (as opposed to the VW/356types) do have a pinion slightly below center.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks again to Ed (Edmayo) for the advice on the clutch cable! With some fiddling, I was able to get the clutch adjusted and it's much better now. I adjusted in the garage until I could get it into Reverse easily with no grind. Then drove it around the block.... repeated several times until it "felt" right... then took it on a longer drive. Everything seems to be shifting well now. I could adjust a "little" more but I'll just leave it be.
    Jake
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)

While I had the front wheels off the car this afternoon, I noticed the passenger side strut was leaking (blown seal). They are black.... I was under the understanding that Koni's were on the car. But, I don't remember Koni's ever being black. I can't tell if someone painted them or not. What other struts were black on these? Boge? Is there a way I can find out for sure?
    Jake

If it has S brakes then they are Konis. Otherwise they are probably Boges.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Scrape off the crud and grease, and somewhere you'll find the name (probably Boge) stamped in the strut body and on the protective sleeve. And I think one of my 'S''s does have Boge struts with the 'S' caliper spacing. I'd have to go look again to be sure.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I re-read this thread from the beginning and totally love it!! Thanks for sharing!
    I also think this is the kind of story that should be printed in one of the big magazines. Stories with real people and their cars are always the best and your story combined with the history, makes this pretty special!!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Scrape off the crud and grease, and somewhere you'll find the name (probably Boge) stamped in the strut body and on the protective sleeve. And I think one of my 'S''s does have Boge struts with the 'S' caliper spacing. I'd have to go look again to be sure.
    FWIW - I've got an original 69 sporto T, with S spaced and braked Boge struts - but Koni inners.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Prof. of Pending Projects

Thumbs up

I had not seen this thread. What an amazing and touching story. Thank you for sharing it and sharing the progress of bringing the car back to life. What a way of keeping her memory alive. Maybe it was mentioned before, but at least you need to take it to a DE event in her honor.
    Drive safe!
    Jaime O. Diaz (a.k.a. Wachuko)

1967 - Porsche 912 - Ownership Thread
    1981 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to RS
    1983 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to 1974 RSR 3.0
    1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet - Ownership Thread
    1981 - FIAT Spider - Ownership Thread
    2015 - FIAT 500 Abarth
    2015 - FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
    2012 - BMW X5 xDrive35d

Thanks for the tips, everyone. When I have the car up in the air next, I'll see if I can track down a number. I was a little rushed last night with the tires and didn't have a chance to look closely. More to come!
    Jake