Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: incorrect engine bay on some '64 also on ruf and seinfields

+1 ... it is these small details that make the game such fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    And miss all this
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
    Some folks really need to get a life.
    yeah. I was just thinking this. good grief.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    yeah. I was just thinking this. good grief.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
    Some folks really need to get a life.
    Seriously?
    I'm acting president of the Southwest Chapter of the Who Gives A Rip Foundation and even I see this as a big deal.
    We're talking half million dollar cars here that have had arguably the most distinctive feature of the model completely screwed up.

I would feel pretty silly if I was responsible for this faux pas on Jerry Seinfeld's car.

You "experts" are always so sure of yourself. I don't think there are any experts, especially since I see most of the" internet experts" asking some pretty basic questions about these cars, on this forum. I am constantly saying to myself, he is one of the internet 30 and he is asking that question? You point to pictures in marketing dept. pictures and call it origional, ever hear of air brushing pictures, or in the old days having an artist re-draw or change a picture? I have been involved in these cars since 1966 and I have never even seen a 1964 model. So I have a hard time beliving there is anyone out there , unless they picked there car up at the factory and still have it could possibly remember after 49 years what any part of the car looked like.
    Mike

It seems to be a pretty obvious thing to get wrong with so few original examples out there, and the prices these early cars are bringing. Unless someone knows if the switch from the rounded flange to the angled one was done pretty early on. I am not into a lot of the anal retentive concours details that some enjoy, but it seems this is quite a distinctive character defining detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    It seems to be a pretty obvious thing to get wrong with so few original examples out there, and the prices these early cars are bringing. Unless someone knows if the switch from the rounded flange to the angled one was done pretty early on. I am not into a lot of the anal retentive concours details that some enjoy, but it seems this is quite a distinctive character defining detail.
    if my memory serves me right it was in 84 with the introduction of the 3,2.but i will have a look at the parts catalouge.

but this panel went trough several slight changes ..and if anyone out there has a 3liter turbo... you will have to have a very special one.

f.

interresting hinge, interresting the way the eng lid is bolted, and the sunroof drain and the center luggage bracket.....interresting interresting...its barbarossa..hm

but i think barbarossa has a wrong rubber seal mounted...the half moon cut out section appeared later.
    Last edited by moito; 11-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Experts? Anal retentive? Maybe, if your talking about screw head alignment or the font on your shift knob. But not here. It is either right or wrong and these cars are clearly wrong. But in the 356 world this has been going on for years and continues still. The dilution of originality is so complete that at some of the bigger shows the only vestige of originality is the shape of the car! Everything else, on many, is the figment of some restorers imagination. That is why I only like the preservation class if there is one. Or they took the path of least resistance to the cash register. To wit: there are more restored A cars with B/C rocker panels than not. I can spot them a mile away. They look close but not really. So the problem is there are so many incorrect cars around that the mistakes are now accepted as the norm. Bingo! Do you think JS questioned the latch panel? Probably not. The car is beautiful, its the first, its done and in his hands. But it is wrong! I'm on my eighth speedster and may be a little obsessive with originality but as more and more are done incorrectly, mine and some others can be a baseline for the right stuff. With the kind of dough these cars are bringing they should be done right IMHO.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    if my memory serves me right it was in 84 with the introduction of the 3,2.but i will have a look at the parts catalouge.

but this panel went trough several slight changes ..and if anyone out there has a 3liter turbo... you will have to have a very special one.

f.
    the catch aperture changed to a triangular shape for the 92MY 964 chassis

yes, 3.0 turbo has a recessed cut out on the left side to give clearance for the Turbo pressure pipe
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo