Thread: 72 paint questions

mad scientist

72 paint questions

I am about to embark on a new project car. 72 911T tub based. Original color is Tangerine. Currently the car is mostly stripped and it is in the beginning of the rust repair stage. The tub is getting a new rear deck/seat pan area and will need attention to the floors and rockers. Let's not forget that front pan. Longs, jackpoints, fender supports, cowl, etc are all clean. Its strange how this one rusted. Anyway...

While the car may be far from stock when finished I want the tub to get be original with respect to paint details.

So, It appears that the entire body is painted body color. There are black swatches across the tunnel, seat rails (outside) and engine bay. There looks like a black swatch across the lower section of the front pan and into the lateral tank supports below the tank.

I am sure there is a thread on the correct paint for a 72. I could not find it in my archives search. I appreciate any help you guys have.

I need confirmation on...

underside of hood
    front trunk,
    steering tunnel
    smugglers box
    floors
    underside of car
    lower seat pans, torsion tube, trans tunnel
    engine bay
    interior (rear deck/seat pans)
    roof structure
    A,B,C pillars

Thanks

Jamie
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

member #1515
    Hi Jamie,
    I've got pretty extensive pictures of an RS that was under restoration by Jones Autowerkes. I can email you most of the areas you are asking about. I just don't know if they are exactly the same for a 72. I believe that they shot almost the whole tub body color and then came back with satin black in specific areas afterwards.
    If someone confirms that 72 was the same let me know and I'll send the pics.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

David, the only real differences I'm aware of for 73 is that Porsche decided to stop taking the extra step of blacking the engine bay over the body color overspray and just left the engine bay in body color, same for the underside which they used to hand brush black over the areas you could see while standing looking at the side of the car. Time saved is 'money earned'. The thread on the burgundy 73 911 T found in Michigan is the real authority.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    Thanks Ed I'll send Jamie the pics. The only are that I can see that wasn't body color was the pedal bulkhead area inside. Otherwise, as you say , they just painted over with satin black.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

mad scientist
    Thanks Ed and David,

I thought that the transition from 71 to 72 brought a full body color treatment with the cover of satin black in certain areas. This car has the swath across the center tunnel from the shifter to the access and also the side seat rails. It is hard to tell in the engine bay right now. Its a bit dirty but you can see bits of color here and there.

I have a long way to go before the tub is painted.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

Jamie, the 'bits of color' you see is from the black rubbing off!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.