Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The starting of the stripping process

Bill,

Lucky chance meeting with the Yellow Bird, i have watched the video on that one many times.

You mentioned upgrading your engine, what are you planning to upgrade ? Good luck with the rebuild i am sure you'll have it back on the road and running better than ever shortly.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Clayton
    The case halts were machined at the connecting surface to make sure that they were flat and then they were line bored. The cylinder bolt holes had timecerts put in to strengthen them. The distributor was changed to electronic points. The engine is still a 2.4. It is ready to be put back in the car now. I am going to have them rebuild the suspension before the engine goes back in.

image.jpg
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Bill,

Great pics and thanks for update.......progress on my project is slow at the moment but its good to see others enjoying their car. And good to see what mine will look like in the future when its complete. I hope you get yours back on the road shortly, any tweaks to the suspension rebuild or keeping it standard ?
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Clayton
    I am not doing any changes other than replace the rubber bushings with rubber. I am trying to keep it as original as possible because that is where I think that the best sales value is. Besides, I prefer original cars. I have a very nice unrestored 1931 Model A Ford Victoria with original paint and interior. Keeping a car original means more detail work and money.
    Keep picking away at your project and before you know it, you will be driving it again.
    Here is what the bottom of my car looks like, at the moment. When you get done, I hope yours will look cleaner

IMG_5949.jpg
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Thanks Bill,

I am slowly chipping away at the 911......i know it will get there in the end, awaiting a few more things to arrive before continuing the process.

cheers
    clayton
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Needed to remove the red paint from my paint tag code with out wrecking the tag.....

The Acetone trick worked.........see the pics below

This was how it started out you can see the door tag painted red
    uni doc 3 047.jpg

I then got a hint from a mate to use acetone......
    uni doc 3 066.jpg

so i poured a little onto a patch like this then waited about 15mins
    uni doc 3 064.jpg

and the end result........now very happy with the outcome, just needs a little bit of a tidy up
    uni doc 3 068.jpg

cheers
    clayton
    Last edited by shipard; 01-29-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

By the way does anyone have a recommendation for power coaters in sydney ?
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

It must be the vitamin E
    Easy enough to grind the heads off of those blind rivets to get the tag off and safely out of the way while you get the car done.

Hi Chris,

Yeah wasn't sure it would work but glad it did.......yes next step is to very carefully remove the rivets and remove the tag. I will be removing the other vin tag as well. Going to be very careful with it. I will put it in the draw with the dials.....and put it back on once the car has been done. Awaiting on a few things so progress has slowed on the project.......slowly slowly.

I also did some work on the front suspension........it is slowly coming apart, cross member is free and now to loosen the nuts on the bottom of the struts. Have sprayed with WD40 and letting it soak in. Its one of the last things i do before finishing up work, seems to help (well i hope it does) so anything that needs to come apart has a day or so before i try it again. I dont have the socket to undo these nuts but hoping multi grips might do the trick. Open to suggestions....

My aim is to get the front and rear suspension all powder coated, as it relatively cheap and keeps the progress heading along.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Some slow progress........i am pulling the front suspension apart, and having a bit of an issue with the pin that holds the front ball joint to the suspension strut. I finally got one apart after a fair amount of banging and WD40. the other one is being a bit more stubborn. Anyone else had troubles with this ? and if so what was their fix ? i am trying to avoid drilling it out so let it soaking again with some more WD40 for a couple of days.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S