Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 303581 see's daylight for the first time in 15 years

303581 see's daylight for the first time in 15 years

Well I finally completed the deal on my new to me 1966 911. Owned by a lady in the Glendale, Ca. area since 1978. It's been sitting in her garage and hasn't been driven since 1998. It has actually never been advertised for sale, but I used to work with the daughter of the owner and she told me about her mom's old Porsche that she might want to sell. That was approx. 3 years ago and I passed on it. I always wondered if I should have passed on the car and then I ran into the owners daughter about 3 months ago and asked her if her mom still had the 911 and wanted to sell it. She said that she still had it and it hasn't moved since I last looked at it. She asked her mom if she wanted to sell and she said she would. I made contact with the owner and she allowed me to look at it, but not until 2 months after we talked . It seemed like she always had something to do when I wanted to come and see it, but I kept pursuing it . I think she had an attachment to the car and really didn't want to let it go.

Anyhow, me being persistent paid off (I think) since we worked out a deal and the car is now mine.

A little I know about the car. Originally Irish Green, then yellow, now black. The most recent paint job is very poor quality. Wrong badges and wheels. Rust in the door sills. Some bondo in various places. All the vin plates are there along with the vin stamped next to the smugglers box. The engine is numbers matching but it has Zenith carbs. I guess I will be looking for the correct Solexes to replace the Zeniths.

Here are a few pics. Wrong script on the engine cover.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Bradford; 12-03-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    Scott

Good luck with it! Great story and looking forward to hearing more as the project progresses!
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

Subscribed! Great story and good luck with the project!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Good luck, Looks great!
    911 S 1967 and ...

Great find!

Can't wait to hear more, keep the photos coming!
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

Early 911S Registry # 2863

Bursch exhaust. Used to hang around his Pasadena shop in the late 60's, and the whole area above his office was stacked high with stock mufflers. Should have asked him if I could have a few.
    Bob B

Love-love-love these kinds o' threads!

First-of-all --- congratulations. And way to be persistent. Sounds like you already know something about these cars and what you're getting yourself into, so I'd like to hear more about what you think of the car and kinds of stuff you find. I'd also recommend trying to get as much of The Story from the PO as you can --- while you can. Cars don't talk, so . . .

And take your time and try to take some pictures to show, too. Pictures = 1000 words, etc

And thank you for posting. . . .

. . . and for taking us along

Stories like yours always inspire

We Can Be Heroes

We have a million answers.

Document everything. Save everything. It looks like it's all there, that helps.

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Nice find!

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741