Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 303581 see's daylight for the first time in 15 years

my...my..my... nice. its meant to be yours

Thank you all for the kind welcome. I have owned many 911's over the years, but not a swb that needed a complete rehab. According to the PO, the car ran fine before she stopped driving it. I would like to get it running just to check out the condition of the engine before I pull it out. I searched but could not find a write up procedure for attempting to get a car running that has sat for this many years. I would assume I need to have the gas tank cleaned out, an oil change, pull the plugs and shoot some oil into the cylinders etc.. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Scott

With the spark plugs out pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and ground it (near the coil bracket is easiest) and crank the engine (in 15 second spurts) until the oil pressure gauge flickers. Pull off air cleaner and work linkage (engine OFF of course) to see if accelerator pumps are squirting fuel. With ignition turned on rotate engine by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley bolt, brace the coil wire you had grounded about a 1/4" from ground, and every 120 degrees of pulley rotation you should see a spark jump. If this all works put everything back together and start it up.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Ed
    Scott

Update

Got a few things accomplished this weekend. As I mentioned, I wanted to get it running before I pulled the engine. This way at least I will know that it runs when I re-install it. I pulled the plugs to shoot some oil down into the cylinders and changed the oil (man is this easier to work on than a 993 ). I disconnected the fuel line coming into the fuel pump and ran a fuel line directly into a gas can bypassing the gas tank. I cranked it a bunch with the coil wire disconnected to get the oil pressure up. Reconnected the coil and it fired up after about 3 tries. The carbs need some adjusting as it backfired a bit when I would blip the throttle. Otherwise it sounded pretty good. Lots of condensation and rust from the muffler came shooting out on start up.

One interesting thing I found out when changing the oil. The engine has been leaking from the oil sump plate for the last 15 years, so I bought gaskets to replace them. My research tells me that there are 2 gaskets required for the sump plate, one between the case and the strainer/screen and another one between the strainer/screen and the sump plate. When I pulled the sump plate, there was only one gasket. Hopefully this was the cause of the leak over the last 15 years. When I drained the oil, only 5 quarts came out, thus loosing 4 quarts over the years it has been sitting. The oil I removed looked almost new.

Video of engine running
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hkN8EPy84k

Continued on next by inspecting the gas tank and pulling it. There was still about 5 gallons of gas in the tank. I pulled the sending unit and with a flashlight I could see that the tank looked very clean inside. The tank has some very minor surface rust on the exterior, but the biggest issue is that it has a big dent in the bottom of it. I would like to re-use the tank but I'm not sure how to get the dent out?

Pulling the tank. In the upper right hand corner of the pic. you can see the contact cement used to glue the carpeting down.......ohhh what were people thinking back in the day . That's going to be fun to remove.

Nice dent

Until next time, thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Bradford; 11-25-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    Scott

Good story, subscribed.
    Andrew Chisholm
    Early 911S Member #1994
    1973 911E 2.4L Coupe
    1969 912 Coupe, original owner

Best I can offer is to use a long, very stout steel pipe that you can get down through the sender hole, might be able to get some of the dent out. I'd also suggest stripping all the undercoat off and respraying it. That tank is starting to look pretty crusty up near the seam.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I've popped some dents out of old tanks by putting a bit of air pressure on the tank. I've also ruined a tank by applying too much, so tread lightly

Thanks guys for the tips. The goal in restoring this car is to use as many of the original parts as possible. If I cannot get the dent out of the tank and restore it 100%, I will just buy a new tank. Also, I was notified by another member that my engine start up video was not working. I have since fixed it. Thanks.
    Scott

Some progress is being made as I am just trying to evaluate the rust and any prior repairs.

Removed the rear bumpers and incorrect emblems

Nice rusty exhaust, when I first started the car you would not believe the amount of rust that shot out .

Removed the radio and lower dash pad, yes the VIN is there. How is the wood mounted to the dash?

Removed the front bumper and fenders. How do you remove the lead weights from the bumper?

Where ever you see shiny metal, it is because I have taken a grinder with a scuffing pad to remove the paint/surface rust to evaluate.
    Original Irish Green paint visible with the fenders removed. Appears that there were some minor repairs to the front in the past.

How do you remove the smugglers box door? Lotsa surface rust, but seems to come off pretty easy.

And the fun continues......................
    Scott