Thread: paint to sample color help

paint to sample color help

So I recently purchased a 77 turbo Carrera, paint code 707, which is not a listed code in any of the books I own. I called PCNA and they said paint was a paint to sample metallic. When I spoke with original owners wife, she mentioned car was brown and repainted metallic black at some point, color it is today. I pulled some parts off car and found some evidence of a bronze sort color that appears to be original color. So a couple of questions:
    1. How does one decode these paint to sample colors.
    2. A paint code that starts with a 7 should be some sort of black I thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    . . . recently purchased a 77 turbo Carrera, paint code 707, which is not a listed code in any of the books I own . . . a couple of questions:
    1. How does one decode these paint to sample colors.
    2. A paint code that starts with a 7 should be some sort of black I thought . . .
    Has anyone ever asked this before? . . . decoding a custom Faktory paint code?

Well, anyway --- I'd start off by contacting Porsche Classic and asking them. Hopefully, someone there might be able to send you a color formulation, supplier reference, some-other-year equivalent . . . maybe even a sample

P-to-S always seems pretty special to me --- and I would think that Porsche must have some way of identifying/telling the paint shop what to mix

My next step would be to pull off the door panels --- or some other out-of-the-way part of the car . . . to see if I can't get a clean/clear/virgin sample for a proper color-analyser to look at . . .
    http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...cquire_rx.html

At least I'd have a formula to get a sample made

HtH

PS I'd try to get the Kardex, too, while I was at it . . .

And keep us posted --- will ya?

Really interested in what you turn up

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,

Thanks for all the ideas. So here is what I have been told by others who have been down same path.
    1. In the late 70's Porsche did not do a good job keeping track of this information
    2. Good paint folks can match original color as long as we find it, worse thing is we wet sand off some of the black and see if original color is hiding underneath. I found traces of it everywhere I looked, so I should be ok there.
    3. I did order a COA - which will be of limited value. I thought Kardex's were unobtainium anymore, if anyone know's how to get one of these please PM me.
    4. I will follow up with original owner to see if they maybe have a picture of car hidden away somewhere.

Thanks,

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    . . . I will follow up with original owner to see if they maybe have a picture of car hidden away somewhere . . .
    Hey, Phil . . .

As long as you've got contact w/ the Original Owner (!) . . . ask him if he has any 'touch-up' paint for the car. I've read several accounts of P-to-S cars that came w/ extra paint --- sometimes, even cans of the stuff

Also --- don't be put-off about getting information from the Faktory --- up to/including a Kardex. At the very least, contact Porsche Classic . . .
    http://www.porsche.com/international...ssic/services/

Tell them who you are, what you have . . . and ask for their help. Be prepared to show proof-of-ownership, your vehicle's VIN, engine#, transmission#, and production (aka 'secret') #. Easy to do --- you can do everything through e-mail, too

Be polite + be patient. At the very least --- make friends. 'Member --- all the guys do is old Porsches . . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmG9LwzyS2A

I went through this w/ my car, and --- believe me . . . it was worth it

We Can Be Heroes

I bet there's a nice untouched, unaffected by UV patch of original color right under that paint tag! I'd carefully take off the heads of the push rivets with a dremel, nice and slow like and pry it off. That should give you a large area to surgically remove a chip for matching.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I bet there's a nice untouched, unaffected by UV patch of original color right under that paint tag! I'd carefully take off the heads of the push rivets with a dremel, nice and slow like and pry it off. That should give you a large area to surgically remove a chip for matching.
    +1 - start with carefully disassembling it until you find that spot of original color. My friend restores 356s, he had an A coupe in jade green, nobody ever heard of or seen the color. He found 1 tiny spot of original paint (behind the hinge covers I believe) and was able to match it perfectly. The car is absolutely stunning. Your turbo looks good as is tho! Cool car for sure.

~J~
    air cooled only

Guys thanks- I figure there is some original paint under hood hinges. I need to find an excellent paint shop to take it back to it's original glory. I may just drive the piss out of it for a few years, I find it difficult to enjoy driving feshly painted cars.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Did some more exploring and I found this.
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Junkie # 658

Doesn't really give you a sense of the color but it 's a beautiful gold brown.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I have fond the best place to get a sampel big and flat enough to scan for paint mix, is under the door latch on the rear latch pannel. Most repainter's are too lazy to remove let alone remove the bolts. Just mask it off and spray away.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress