Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1967 911 S from Venezuela - My first 911/Restoration

Hi,

I don't know much about the history of the car but I know it was bought in Germany and brought to Venezuela in 1967. The past owner had repainted the car silver and changed the interior to black. He also removed the fog lights and the bumper and rocker trims (Don't worry I'll bring everything back as it should be). I think there are only two 67S in Venezuela, but back in the day Venezuela was full of amazing cars. I have always been a Porsche fan, and 3 years ago (when I was 16) I decided I wanted to find an old Porsche and buy it. This is when I started searching for 356s around the world, and I almost fell in a fraudulent offer from Spain once. Almost. Then I met my dad's friend, who is known as the walking bible of old cars in Venezuela. He has owned amazing cars such as Ferrari 250 TR and Mercedes 300SL. He knows every car in Venezuela and every story. He had a 356 A cabriolet in his garage and I fell in love with it at the moment I saw it. I think there is only 1 356 A cabriolet left in Venezuela. For two years I tried to convince my friend to sell it to me, but he never did. I even called him once every day for those a whole year but it did not help, but we did create a nice friendship. Then I moved to California to study at the University of California Santa Barbara, so I lost contact with him for a that year since I could not call him. I did lots of research on 356s and I became an expert in the subject. After I realized he did not want to sell me the 356 I told him to please tell me where to find a 356A coupe, and he told me that he would do his best. But he never found anything interesting. This June, after I finished my freshman year at UCSB, I decided I was going to find my old Porsche during summer. Then I started looking at 911s, and this is when I told him that I was also interested in buying a SWB (I know, I was pretty demanding), and he told me he knew about this 911S in Caracas. Turns out it was a 67S. He obviously did not know how special this car was, but I did. He gave me the phone number of the owner and told me to be careful that I was about to deal with a very spoiled old man. I met the owner in a car show in Venezuela and I told him I was interested in buying his car. He asked me how old I was and I told him I am 19. The first thing he told me is that he was amazed by how a young guy is interested in such an old car, when usually they are thinking in getting the latest model. I explained to him that I have always been a Porsche enthusiast and that I thought his car was the one for me. At first he thought I was a random spoiled kid who was just trying to own a Porsche, but after talking and negotiating he understood that it was a passion. The next day he sold me the car, I spent all of my savings but it was worth every penny. My dad told me that I could buy it, but he never believed that this guy was going to sell the car to a ''kid''. So I called my dad and told him ''hey, the car is already in our garage'', and he could not believe it. As soon as my dad saw the car he fell in love too, so he told me he would pay for the restoration. He is also a Porsche fan since young, but he never had the opportunity of having one until last year when he bought a 1997 911 Targa. I took the car to his shop and spent all of my break disassembling the car and doing lots of research on SWB. I still read every day about these cars, especially about 67S. I also took notes of what was missing and what was not correct, so that I could later fix it. I came back to the US in August, so work became slower. I still talk to my dad every day about the car, and he is in charge of sending me pictures. I am the one in charge of finding all the correct parts and telling him how everything should be done. It is very difficult to take parts to Venezuela, and it will be very difficult to bring the car to the US too, but I'll do my best. Things in Venezuela are really bad, and they are getting worse. This is why we are doing this as fast as we can so that we can save the car and take it to the US. Next week I will be traveling to Venezuela, and I will be helping on changing the suspension pan of my car. I will be taking pictures and posting them here!

Hope you enjoy,
    -Fernando

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    That is very interesting. The reason I say this is I have a Kardex for a car produced within a day of your car. It is not my car. The engine number is shown as the same as your engine number ! Normally, Kardex are not in error. Of C of A's have errors but usually the engine number is not in error as that is straight forward to record. Not meaning to stir up a hornets next, Really. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Allen,

I'm not sure what do you mean with what you have told me. Could you send me the complete picture. I'm 100% sure that 961782 is the engine matching to my car. It would be too much of a coincidence that the CoA is wrong and that I have the same engine number as in the CoA. Maybe it can be a typo in the Kardex?? Anyways I will send you a better picture of the engine number next week if you need it! I have just found this one..

Name:  IMG_0899.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  130.2 KB

Thanks,

Fernando

Quote Originally Posted by Farriaga View Post
    Allen,

I'm not sure what do you mean with what you have told me. Could you send me the complete picture. I'm 100% sure that 961782 is the engine matching to my car. It would be too much of a coincidence that the CoA is wrong and that I have the same engine number as in the CoA. Maybe it can be a typo in the Kardex?? Anyways I will send you a better picture of the engine number next week if you need it! I have just found this one..

Name:  IMG_0899.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  130.2 KB

Thanks,

Fernando
    This is interesting. MAYBE Porsche made two engines with the SAME engine number. Look her for engines in your range (this is from Dave P data base and thread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Engine-Build-s
    There are (reported) two engines, 961796, with different casting numbers but the same engine number. Maybe that happened in your case too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    This is interesting. MAYBE Porsche made two engines with the SAME engine number. Look her for engines in your range (this is from Dave P data base and thread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Engine-Build-s
    There are (reported) two engines, 961796, with different casting numbers but the same engine number. Maybe that happened in your case too.
    Yes. This is really interesting! I guess this makes me luckier?? Haha. Maybe they did make 2 engines, or maybe there was just a typo in the Kardex. Who knows.. The important thing is that the engine is matching to my car!

Thanks Allen,

Fernando
    Fernando

1967 911S

Bienvenido Fernando.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

old softie67S
    Welcome aboard and good luck with this project. Blue with red is a GREAT combo. My 356 is blue with red and it is amazing the reaction it receives. Are your Konis original with the Porsche logo and date stamp. Make sure you do not throw them out even if worn out.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

I would be proud to have you as my son. Great story! You seem to have your head squarely planted on your shoulders.

Felicidades Fernando,

I will be keeping an eye out on your restoration adventures.

Buena Suerte!

(yo nació en Puerto Rico; somos casi primos!)

What a great story. Just be sure you hold onto the car. I did a similar restoration when I was your age and ended up making the car so nice I never drove it and decided to sell it. Yep, big mistake. Be sure to drive it and have lots of fun. Thanks for posting all your progress.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Hi Fernando,
    Great story, hope you enjoy every minute of the process. I live in Sydney, Australia but believe it or not I grew up in Venezuela (well, for about five years). We were in Valencia and I went to Colegio Internacional de Carabobo, the American school. It was a great place to be a boy and I have wonderful memories.

Cheers,
    Nick
    Nick

1971 2.2S, Bahia Red

Early 911S # 2534
    TYP901 # 264
    Porsche Club of NSW