Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965 SWB steering rack refurbish

1965 SWB steering rack refurbish

I took apart my 7/65 steering assembly today because it was very notchy and clearly all the grease had dried up long ago.
    Both of the bearings were in poor shape and the rack itself had some corrosion on the back surface where the nylon pad runs.
    Both of the bearings are readily available they are 16002 and 16003 and hopefully I can get a replacement seal also.
    It appears the pressed in bushes at either end of the housing are also replaceable however I will not be renewing these.
    The rack has cleaned up nicely and now I just need to do a quick search for the best grease to use before reassembly.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 9er; 11-19-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Looks like you're doing a great job... that's something I guess I'll end up having to do one day... how long did it take to dismantle?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Just did this. I used Redline Synthetic high-temp, high pressure grease.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

It was about 20 minutes to strip down, and having said that, once you know how to do it, probably more like 5 minutes, circlip pliers were the only "special" tool.
    Nice job Brian, and cheers for the grease recommendation.

Resurrecting this thread: I'm having trouble sourcing parts. Stoddard has the little white plastic puck, but I can't find anything else. Where do I get:

The red gasket
    The bearing that goes around the pinion
    The green or blue bushing, to the left of the red gasket in the 1st photo
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

You should lubricate with Liqui-Moly LM47-L - around 40 grammes is the recommended quantity.

Bearings are readily available from most good bearing stockists as are the oil seals.

Looking for the part# on this seal circled in red. Thanks

Scott

I could not find such a part on any of the Porsche supplier sites. So I went to a good auto parts store in San Carlos with the old damaged part and they found a match. It looked different but it was the right size and fit perfectly. It just has to have the right dimensions.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Quote Originally Posted by ckissick View Post
    I could not find such a part on any of the Porsche supplier sites. So I went to a good auto parts store in San Carlos with the old damaged part and they found a match. It looked different but it was the right size and fit perfectly. It just has to have the right dimensions.
    Would love to see the part/#/manuf....
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Shift Knob Maker
    Usually oil seals have a number on them that indicates size. That can be googled or go to a bearing / seal place and they can fine one. If you don't have a locale supplier, there are some on line.
    You can sometimes find parts like that at McMaster Carr.

Mark..