Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Once in a Lifetime Find! 300061 a certified 901 sees the light of day (again)!

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Allen,

Question, were the fittings on the cross over pipes on the calipers gold zinc? My experience is mostly with 356's and I have always seen them phosphated. Curious to learn
    Joris,

That IS a good question and one of the reasons we love this board. We think you're probably correct but will double check to verify; an easy thing to fix which we'll do if correct. Thanks !

-Allen-

Please let us know Allen, what you find out.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Allen,

One other thing, you might want to check the plating on the bridge pipe also. I remember Tim Goodrich once telling me these had a special plating also. Could also be my mind playing tricks with me

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    . . . Thank you for your interest, here is an update: 901, 300061, is in the process of being shipped and soon arrive in northern Europe . . . So, #61 will be a L O N G project. When it's finished the goal is the make it THE MOST CORRECT early 901/911 extant . . .
    Thanks for the update, Allen

Yours is One of Those Cars that I really look forward to reading/seeing more about

I know this 'll be a long project --- and I know that you'll be busy . . .

. . . just don't forget about us, K?

I especially like seeing the work-in-progress stuff . . . not as sexy as a finished car, maybe --- but still fascinating. Where else would most of us ever see this kinda stuff?

Anyway, have fun + thanks, again

We Can Be Heroes

Allen,

One other thing, you might want to check the plating on the bridge pipe also. I remember Tim Goodrich once telling me these had a special plating also. Could also be my mind playing tricks with me
    Joris, Kudos to you and my fellow concours judge, Mark Smedely (board member) for your input. First, the color of the fittings, (and cross-over tube), we now believe, should be "silver." The (steel) tube itself was/is probably phosphate as a plated tube would crack when bent. The fittings should be zinc (silver). It is good to know this stuff before the car is together ! So, unless we find out otherwise, the next pics of the brakes (it will be awhile) will have silver fittings on the crossover tubes! Thanks.

-Allen-

Cool stuff Allen, look forward to following this thread along.

Just for giggles, on my '57 coupe I ran into a snag on the brakes also. The currently available lines are not copper plated as original. In addition the fittings currently available are slightly different to the original ones. We had new fittings made, phosphated them as original and had correct copper plated brake lines made. Quite a lot of work but it is always nice to know that things are put back the way they left the factory
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool stuff Allen, look forward to following this thread along.

Just for giggles, on my '57 coupe I ran into a snag on the brakes also. The currently available lines are not copper plated as original. In addition the fittings currently available are slightly different to the original ones. We had new fittings made, phosphated them as original and had correct copper plated brake lines made. Quite a lot of work but it is always nice to know that things are put back the way they left the factory
    Nice ! Are those Carrera, as in 4 cam, backing plates? Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 09-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Those are actually regular 356A backing plates. The GT cars got the 60mm brakes with the vented backing plates as standard. They were available on regular production cars and GS carrera's as an option.

Cheers,

J.

Help with proper Pepita, Houndstooth

Interior Gurus,

Below you will see an abstract from the Kardex for 300061's interior: "K-Led. rehbr. pep." K-led is kunstleder which is German for artificial leather e.g. leatherette; rehbr is rehbraun which translates to fawn (color) and pep is Pepita or Hounds-tooth (seat inserts). So our car had a fawn leatherette interior with hounds-tooth inserts for the seats. We are trying to figure out what Pepita 901 061 came with. Also below are three standard Peptitas which were available for late 356s and early 911s. Also shown is our interior which, where we think, the hounds-tooth inserts wore out and was replaced with black leatherette inserts. We'd guess that the lighter tan/fawn hounds-tooth or the darker brown hounds-tooth was original on our car. Any help would be welcome.

There are actually two pepitas with brown/tan; a light and a dark (I've included those in the pics) IF someone could provide ACTUAL photos of the fabric on seats and/or of swatches (from the color paint book) it would be much appreciated. Thanks !

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 09-05-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Here 2 other pics Allen......... Hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter