Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Once in a Lifetime Find! 300061 a certified 901 sees the light of day (again)!

300061 Five Year Update

This month marks five years since 300061 surfaced in Missouri. Tempus fugit ! Back then we’d have predicted that 61 would be finished and taken to shows by now. That was not to be as God (or the Devil, depending on your perspective) is in the details. And the details are many……

Taking so much time is a mixed blessing as, on one hand of course we’d like to be done, on the other we have learned so much and this would have never happened had we rushed the metal work.

In the last five years we have been able to source rare parts, like the tall grill (thanks Henk at Carparc) and an authentic 901 tool kit bag, etc. But we have also missed out on parts, like the square boxed heat exchangers and no success yet in finding another nice set. We also had parts rebuilt and some of our sources really stepped up to help us.

We have met and worked with several wonderful people. Bob Fleming has been a great help; Franz Raab has a wealth of knowledge (that’s an understatement!) A special shout out to Dave DiMaria's Vintage Car Works which does outstanding work, not to mention that Dave D. is a great guy. Thanks Dave and team!

Details that have slowed us down are at both the front and the back end of the car. Below you will see a photo of the flat rear latch panel. The bottom of the three parts in the photos was made from scratch by our metal guy, the one in the middle is a take-off from an early car, the top part is the lower part of the latch panel, NOS, that must be modified slightly for SWB cars.

An interesting part at the front of the car is the tow hook. The tow hook is different, as is the cross bar is attaches to, on 1964 911s (see photos for details) We’d like to get INPUT from other early 911 owners. If you’re confident of that the tow hook (and cross bar) on your early 911, up to say Chassis 300250, is “correct” please post photos or at least add to this thread. Note, that the little tow hook assembly is shaped to match the raised “snake” detail on the cross bar. Thanks and stay tuned. We hope to be done with the metal work soon and, with luck, have the 901 finished in 2020.

BTW, as most of all you all know, the area around the tow hook, cross bar (torsion bar attach points), in early 911s is one of the first places to rust. We've seen much newer 911s rust in this area and it is the only rusty area on some cars. To the point, it is often replaced with a new front pan on SWB cars.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-29-2018 at 10:37 AM.

I saw the tow hook being fabbed up by Derek at Vintage Works. Derek is a wizard of a metal man. If you need SWB help Vintage Works is perhaps the best in the country. I am glad to have had my 67S recommissioned there. During the time of my restoration I saw no fewer than four 901s there including Dave's. And six or seven 67S cars.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

901 Poster

901 ers,

How about an Easter update? The metal work truly is almost done ! In the meantime we went on an Easter egg hunt and guess what we found? How about a 901 Poster from Porsche AG. Sent to dealers in late 1964 for the introduction of the 901, this poster and "factory frame" has been in storage since 1986; it smells like an old German bar. Now look carefully ! See that 901 has been whited out by the factory and 911 added, in both places of course. This poster has been verified by Porsche and the 901 is, of course, Signal Red, just like 061! We plan to admire it everyday while we contemplate the day 061 is finished ! Thanks.

-Allen-

PS Of course we are super happy with our find but we are still looking for original Heater Boxes (yes, we know we can get excellent repos but still would like the real thing).
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Great work and update! Keep it up!

I love that whiteout901 to 911 too; what an insane detail!

awesome!!! just love the tippexed out 901...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Keep them coming, Allen,

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

What a great story! Really curious where you are now on 61!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    I saw the tow hook being fabbed up by Derek at Vintage Works. Derek is a wizard of a metal man. If you need SWB help Vintage Works is perhaps the best in the country. I am glad to have had my 67S recommissioned there. During the time of my restoration I saw no fewer than four 901s there including Dave's. And six or seven 67S cars.
    Derek is working on my '56 right now, his work is indeed amazing

The missing link

901 ers and early 911s,

We have finally procured "the missing link." What's that you might ask? How about Original Heat Exchangers! Yes, we'd like to thank our friend and list member, Chuck, who sold them to us. Thank you Chuck! We'll have our artist "metal guy," go through these; we wanted original ones rather the the excellent reproductions we've seen on the market. Speaking of our metal guy, now we can finally say the metal work is almost done. We identified a few subtle early details that will be on 061. We're trying to get as many details correct as possible. In a few months, the 901 will be at the painter. We're on a roll! Thanks.
    -Allen-

Wow - what a find! And yes, seems like you are on a roll - hope if keeps flowing that way for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Original Heat Exchangers!
    We're on a roll!.
    -Allen-
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616