Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camber Plate Bush

Camber Plate Bush

These photographs are the Camber Plate Bush removed from an early SWB car which has fixed front suspension towers.

I see that Sierra Madre and Stoddard list the correct bush but the photographs aren't definitive and Porsche tell me it is NLA.

I made a mistake a few years ago and ended up with a bagful of Koni Strut Bushes which fit but are incorrect.

has anyone bought any? and are they correct?

Thanks

Chris,

How are the konis wrong? can you kindly post a side-by-side illustrating the differences?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

From Left to Right

SWB Bush Upper Face, Koni Bush, SWB Bush Lower Face

Profiles from Side - Left Hand SWB, Right Hand - Koni

Chris, I have to ask, are the originals just cold formed - to the different shape?

I am relating this to the rear torsion bar bushings that come our of 40-50 years of use a completely odd shape - thin on one side and thicker on the other half while the replacements (and presumeably the original shape) were a consistent cylinder of rubber?

Half of the shock tower donut is constrained buy the body metal and the other half is compressed by the washer.... where the bulge out occurs ... just asking?
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob,

I don't believe so although some deformation and change of shape has occurred but a volume change is unlikely.

The inner Spring Plate Bush on early cars was always wedge shaped and smaller than the outer bushes.

If the holes are the same size, then the Koni bushes will work fine. This is a poorly designed bush that was corrected/improved in 1969 with the single piece rubber.

The stock bushes that you have have been deformed from service wear, but they are a bit smaller on the outside diameter.

SV

I agree that the Koni bush will work but I am trying to use the 'correct' bushes. The location which helps to position the bush is completely missing from the Koni Bush and the profiles are different - I have yet to measure the hardness of the rubber but to a first approximation the two bushes are very different although aeging could be the reason.

The angle of the strut tower changed in 1970 and if you use the later camber plate (with the one piece bush) in a SWB shell then you cannot adjust Caster correctly without modifying the shell.

I have 4 cars with non-adjustable towers and the one piece bush doesn't work at all so I am trying to find the correct bushes.

It looks as if the Stoddard/Sierra Madre Bush is the same as the Koni part and hence not what I am looking to use.

It is interesting that the current ER Rubber camber bush has been made a two pieces.

I don't have anything of value to add here Chris, however I would also like the best solution for non adjustable top mount.

The guys at Sierra Madre are comparing the bush they supply with a sketch of the bushes I have taken out of the early cars and I hope that they are the same.

If not a suitable compression mould to make a short production run of these bushes is around $500.

SMC just confirmed that the bush they have is the same as the 'Koni' style bush. As the photograph on their site is identical to the one on Stoddard's site I assume that they also supply this bush.

I plan to go ahead and re-manufacture the correct bush.