Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best source for headliner material?

Who is the best source for headliner material?

I need 3... One black non sunroof, one white sunroof and one white non sunroof for my 67S which has a different patter I believe.

Ay help on experience with vendors would be much appreciated.

Chris
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I bought the white German material from Stoddard for my 68 non sunroof car. Very happy with it.

GAHH is the industry standard for upholstery supplies, but someone here was reproducing them as well (Andrea, I think).

I think Veteran makes them, too; I know Veteran produces a majority of the domestic leather and vinyl products that most upholstery shops try to pass off as German material.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I bought the white German material from Stoddard for my 68 non sunroof car. Very happy with it.
    Did Stoddard have the 68 MY only headliner material?

I know this is correct for the 68 S. It might be what all model 911's of 1968 are suppose to have, people who know more than me can chime in on that.
    Either way the Stoddard headliner material listed would be incorrect for 1968 911S.
    The fact that the catalog description does not specify different material for 68 is another giveaway Stoddard is using a "one size fits all approach".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have one on the way, that is "supposed" to be correct color/pattern for '67. I'll report. BTW, I've noticed that the original headliner in my 1971 VW Super Beetle is almost a dead-ringer for what came out of my 911…..
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Headliner material

I've noticed that there are two hole patterns offered over the years 1964 thru 1967 (car 308454) were a square pattern. The follow-on pattern formed a hexagon (some call it the diamond pattern).

There were two light colors - 1964 thru 1967 was grey that aged by cig smoke/oil thru the heater - ended looking muddy ivory color. The 1968/1969 was really the ivory color.

I'm not sure when the Black headliner started - anyone know?

Chris I believe the last photo is of your 1967 with the grey/square.

The problem is perplexing since the only headliners offered thru the 1980's/90's was the Hex/Ivory The Square/Grey had to be made from scratch. Some time in recent years the supplied units changed to offer only the early cars Square pattern in the lighter colors and it is now almost impossible to find the Hex/Ivory. Note the Stoddard sample card (looks like the same used by Auto's International) has a Ph1-1 Ivory and a Off White both in the Square pattern. "Domestic" is a larger hole - "900 Series" a smaller hole.

( If you look close the Ph1-4 Navy, Ph1-25 Mahogany and Ph1-6 Grey Beige have the Hex pattern - maybe you have to buy that and have it color changed to the Ivory ?? )

Note: all four photos are of vintage and original materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 11-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

There always seems to be a “transition” year for 911’s that incorporate unusual features, The 68 model year had that elephant hide kind of door panel, dash, and the motif was carried on to the headliner. Pre 68 and post 68 had the same material with out the unusual texture. So the Stoddard material will be fine for the other years mentioned in their ad IMHO.

Great, thanks for the feedback! I'll get them ordered up from Stoddard.

I found a pic of the headliner from my 67S...

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #