Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best source for headliner material?

I am no expert, but the headliner from Andrea70 is apparently "too thick and difficult to fit". Not my words. Southbound in the UK have apparently re-produced the correct pattern headliner, as was advertised in classic Porsche magazine last year sometime.

Dave

The 'small square' pattern is, I believe, correct for the early cars and I have several samples in reasonable condition.

Does anyone know when this changed to the larger hexagon pattern.

The headliner material that is commonly used is has a larger 'square' pattern which incorrect for all cars.

The later hexagon pattern is difficult to find and as Dave says I believe Southbound have reproduced this pattern.

I have found a company in the UK that will perforate relatively small quantities of vinyl but the range of tooling they have available is limited.

I have just posted them a sample of an early headliner to see if they can match the square pattern and If so I will order a sample.

We have been making headliners for non-sunroof cars for a few years now but we use the large square pattern vinyl that isn't correct and would like to do better.

The headliners we make do fit well and have all the detailed reinforcements that were used on the early cars and we have also reproduced the hessian backed foam pads used to prevent the headliner rods from rotating and made the rods in a spring temper stainless steel.

The 'new' rods from Porsche have been re-manufactured to an incorrect length and spoil the fit of a new headliner.

Some pictures would be helpful. What color is it you are producing? Do you have a website I can take a look at?

Here's a photo of an original headliner taken from my 65 911, #1744. You can see the hole spacing and original ivory color where it was tucked behind the door seal and protected from fading. It would be nice to get a correct source for this. I have a stash of unusable headliners because they are either made in correct fabric but incorrect pattern, or incorrect fabric with correct pattern. By pattern I mean bow spacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by John912; 02-14-2018 at 04:54 AM.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

We have seen 1965 headliners in a very light grey.

I think that the company that has the equipment to perforate vinyl has the tooling for this shape and I think we can buy the correct plain vinyl.

We have made around 50 headliners now (non-sunroof) and they do fit well.

I will try to make progress with the vinyl in the next week.

I think this pattern is described as a 7.0 x 3.5 because the perforation is at a 90 degree angle to the fore/aft plane.

The same square would be described as a 5.0 x 0 if it was not rotated

I can buy this material in these colours and it is 0.8mm thick

I am not 100% sure this is correct for the early cars but will try to find a sample from an early headliner.

It blows my mind, or at least whats left of it, that the grey headliner material for swb and late 356 hasnt been available for a long long time if ever in the aftermarket. GAHH makes one that is close but too grainy IMO. I think cigarette smoke might make the grey look ivory. I remember one 911 I worked on that had big brown stains along the sides from cigar smoke.

Chris, looks like you're onto to something here. Let me know if you need the original headliner from my 65 #1744 or pattern - - it came out in relatively good condition. So many of the re-pops have the bow spacing wrong.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

The perforators I am trying to use have a number of different patterns and I we can et it tight it must be worth some effort.

I have a 65 car with an original headliner buried in our stores but haven't managed to get to it yet.

So far this is what I can buy which is a very light grey

Dare I bring up the availability of headliner material used in 68 for cars with elephant hide :O
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.