Thread: Steering Column Bush

Steering Column Bush

Upper Steering Column Bushes are often neglected and commonly badly worn.

The original bush comprised of a small steel housing with a needle roller (INA) bearing lightly pressed into the housing. The housing as also fitted with a pair of oil soaked felt washers and a pair of crimped in seals to provide some lubrication.

This housing was then installed in a rubber sleeve and clamped into place on the bulkhead.

In recent years the housing and bearing have been discontinued although the Rubber Sleeve is still in stock.

The replacement unit is a relatively expensive bonded rubber component which still used as INA needle roller and is quite expansive.

Every bearing and housing I have ever removed has been in poor and neglected condition. The felt washers dry out quite quickly and the needle rollers are always jammed and have flats as they fail to rotate. They are often filled up with crud and show signs that they have been skidding for years.

I am not sure that small diameter needle rollers work well in this application, they are more generally used in relatively high speed applications and when they run dry with some side loading can skid and cause brinelling.

I think an oil impregnated bronze bush is a more appropriate solution. It will last longer without maintenance and should give a smoother action.

We have made an anodised aluminium (6061-T6) housing and fitted an Oilite Bush reamed to the correct size and a pair of R21 Rotary Shaft Seals to keep the bush clean.

They fit into the standard rubber sleeve of for competition applications we can supply a hard PU sleeve to improve the stiffness of the steering column mounting.

Hi Chris,

This is a great idea.

Are they difficult to install?

Is it the same part for SWB and LWB cars?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

10-15 minutes I would think.

The shaft is normally a bit grubby and we cleaned ours up with Scotchbrite - we spun it in a lathe. Same part for SWB and LWB but later cars have a one piece unit where the sleeve and housing are bonded in one piece.

I am not sure when the change occurred but I am confident someone will let us know.

Chris,

Do you happen to have before and after install photos?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

I don't have any before photos but I 'pinched' these -

I will take a photo of 'our' bush shortly.

Last edited by chris_seven; 12-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Does the steering column need to be removed for the install or could you replace the bushing in situ?
    Bert Jayasekera
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167