Thread: Porsche 918 Spyder Roadshow

Porsche 918 Spyder Roadshow

I was invited to test drive the 918 Spyder last month at the Thermal Club Raceway near Palm Springs. A good friend of mine who is #79 on the 918 buyers list called me up, and I didn't need much convincing to meet him there !
    We were first introduced to the track in a ride along, by a Porsche driving instructor in an E-Drive Panamera. Then the ride along in the 918 as a passenger, then me as the 918 driver, and the instructor as my passenger. The 918 track cars that we drove were the Weissach models, that weigh in about 40kg lighter than the standard Spyder. I had about a 20 minute drive mostly in PDK full automatic mode, and the last 2 laps in manual paddle shifting. For the short amount of track time , I did enjoy the course in full auto PDK, as the car's handling under power is predictable and I was driving it harder with each lap. No exhibiting of oversteer, nor understeer, and its carbon fiber tub (stiffness) reminds me of driving with a full cage...without all of the quirky race-car jerks + bumps. High point of the day: when instructed to engage the 4.6L v8, the twin exhaust exits just behind the rear window . Exiting the last turn and into an approximate 1,000' straight, I could go from 80 to 140mph, before braking for the next left hander. My instructor's (Nick) phrase to me, going hotter into the apexes on each lap "Trust it Trust it". The 918 has excellent driver to car feedback, I am truly lucky to have had this opportunity that day ! When I got out of the car, it kind of reminded me of a ride I took with the late Otis Chandler. That ride was 10 laps of Riverside in his 917/30.
    Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Porsche set up one of their signature mini "Zentrums" for exhibiting the 918, customer service and of course an excellent brunch. No alcohol served for obvious reasons!
    The lucky 918 owner would be my friend in the center.

We chased a red 991 around the track. Actually I think the 991 was the "Ambassador of kindness", I kept coming up on him in the short sprints...his real job was to keep your ultimate speed in check. We were not allowed to pass the red car. The combination of hybrid drive coupled to instant v8 power and all of Porsches 918 gadgets to keep the car planted...you really want to keep into the power !
    This picture is not at speed, just a shot of us exiting for the pit.

Very cool!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Thanks for posting!

As my pops always told me, "Son, it's not about who you know -- it's about who knows you..."