Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Special Colors aka 'Paint-to-Sample' . . .

Rick

A couple comments, your right about colors and why so many common colors. I like the story my uncles tells me, he walked into a dealer in NJ to get a green 1973. Of course, the dealer had none in stock so he ordered the car. The dealer demanded 20% down before he ordered it! Worried the uncle would never take delivery. Turns out he waited so long he got a 1973.5 model. Took car home and my Aunt called it the most ugliest Porsche she has ever seen and called the car "FROGGY". She never drove the car either. The car is Leaf Green with Tan Leather.

My other question Rick is I have a 1978 930, I ordered the COA and it said paint-to-sample 99. But there is a paint code number on the tag. I think it's Ice Green Metallic. But the COA also saids the interior is to sample too 97. It's white leather to me...have you ever seen a interior to sample?
    Bill

1966 Polo Red 912
    1978 Ice Green 930 Coupe (under construction)
    1988 GP White 911 Coupe (White Knight) Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
    Rick

...have you ever seen a interior to sample?
    Yes, I ordered many interior to sample cars. The price was the same as leather so again...why not?
    H

...have you ever seen a interior to sample?
    Yep. My '74 Carrera has interior to sample. Matched to a driving glove, right down to the leather grain.
    Joe Hartman
    Early 911S Registry #157
    R Gruppe #174
    356 Registry

VW L 397 Lavender

Promise to start a proper project thread on this car very soon and will update the thread with a link

Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Rick,

I think you're confusing two different paint related terms and it's very easy to do so. Let's clear some of it up. 'Special Colors/Paints' are also known as 'Optional Colors'. The Lido Gold '67S, while rare in that shade, is simply painted in an optional color available to anyone in 1966 and 1967 and shouldn't be included in this post.

'Paint to Sample' colors are usually thought to be only one of a kind but in my eyes this category of tones can be broken into two or possibly three different subsets.

1. It can get fuzzy when a first owner or adventurous dealer brings a known Porsche color back from the dead. Case in point is Jazzman's Champagne Yellow '70E. It's definitely not an optional color for the 70-71 color spectrum (hence the 68XX color code) and it's also not a pure paint to sample car. I wonder what was charged for a Porsche color of a known formula ordered out of its era? That way we'd know if Porsche considered older colors simply 'optional' or 'paint to sample'.

2. Even closer to a pure 'paint to sample' choice would be requesting a specific color from a different manufacturer. This is what we see in the case of Radmund's VW Lavender '67S. Again, a color of a known formula, but this time sourced from outside of Porsche's known color code system. You'd have to figure that in this case you'd be charged for paint to sample but still it'd be interesting to see the documentation on these.

3. Finally, you've got what I'd call a pure paint to sample color. This is a unique tone, formulated without any guide or book to
    match something specific... possibly not even automobile related.

When we stray away from the standard and optional colors offered within the period color cycle it can get very tricky and it's easy to see why Porsche charged more!

Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Radmund, Very noce car, was it bought in Spain ?

cheers
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

. . . I ordered the COA and it said paint-to-sample 99. But there is a paint code number on the tag. I think it's Ice Green Metallic. But the COA also says the interior is to sample too 97. It's white leather to me...have you ever seen a interior to sample? . . .
    There are several 911s, over in the 'Family Car' thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=family+cars

. . . with non-standard/made-to-sample interiors

There's also a '69 'S' --- ex-Johnny Rivers . . . that belongs to SIMI BOB that looks like it might have a special interior --- see post #445 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ty-nine/page45

IMO --- special interiors are even more unusual than paint-to-sample. Relatively inexpensive --- considering what you get . . . but totally 'custom' --- yet, virtually un-noticeable . . . except by the person who ordered it . . .

How many people ever took advantage of this kind of personalization?

I mean --- custom paint, custom interior --- from The Faktory = One-of-a-Kind
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Lido Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bauer View Post
    . . . I think you're confusing two different paint related terms and it's very easy to do so . . . The Lido Gold '67S, while rare in that shade, is simply painted in an optional color available to anyone in 1966 and 1967 and shouldn't be included in this post . . .
    Hey, Carl . . .

I've looked/read a lotta Porsche color charts over the years and I will say that I've never heard/seen/read of this color --- Lido Gold . . . before seeing/reading about it on the '67 when it was for sale at RS . . . which was why I included it. So, if you have a color chart/sample book/brochure that shows/describes it as available for '67, then I'll update my post

As for including Jazzman's Champagne Yellow '70 . . . while it may've been a standard Porsche color in some years --- it still required a special order to be on a car that year . . . hence the '68' prefix paint-code

As I recall, '68XX' = custom/special/paint-to-sample/non-standard paint . . .

. . . . noooooooooooot quite . . .
    . . . 68XX does not mean 'custom/special/paint-to-sample/non-standard paint'. It's simply the most recently used Porsche color number (in this case 6822 used for Champagne Yellow in 1968 and 1969) for that particular shade . . .

. . . and then again . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    . . . Not only is it not an official option for the production year, it was also an extra cost option for the 1968 & 1969 model years. This is rare and rather unusual; congratulations . . .

Maybe it's 98XX that I'm thinking of? . . .
    . . . today Porsche gives you two codes for your Slate Gray '70S... 9898 to tell you it's 'optional color to order' and 6801 to denote the actual color. Interesting! I wonder if the Kardex shows both or just the 6801? . . .
    But you make a good point . . .

. . . so I'm gonna ammend/broaden the scope of this thread to specifically include non-standard colors. Good deal?

I guess I would say that some colors are just more special than others

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Dark Metallic Grey

. . . '72 'S' Targa . . .
    http://www.carparcusa.com/detail.php?id=166
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Special Blue - E Piech

. . . '72 'S' --- another 'Family' car . . . Ernst Piech's --- see post #43 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=family+cars

We Can Be Heroes