Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 964 euro carrera cup cars

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    what series did your father compete in?

raj
    my father does not race with the Cup car, its too much value too race with, we are just using it too drive safely at Porsche Club Swedens trackdays 3-4 times a year for fun becuse it belongs on the track :-) we had the car since 2008, before that a Ruby Stone red 92-RS

//Ollie

Very nice, thank you. Was there any difficulty registering the car for road use in Sweden?
    I was also wondering where you located the stickers for the car?

Raj, My car also has original numbered doors and they are steel with no door beams. The 964 RSR and C4 Lightweight doors are aluminum. I still have not heard for certain if the 3.8 RS are or not.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkH; 04-01-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Very nice, thank you. Was there any difficulty registering the car for road use in Sweden?
    I was also wondering where you located the stickers for the car?

Raj, My car also has original numbered doors and they are steel with no door beams. The 964 RSR and C4 Lightweight doors are aluminum. I still have not heard for certain if the 3.8 RS are or not.

Mark
    the car was registred for the Road in Sweden very early, my dad knows the history very well but there is told that one guy got a Cup car registred after that people tryed and it passed, i dont think it will pass today if someone tried!

a bunch of Stories online, i dont remember every one of them im afraid of since it was back in 2008!

//Ollie

Outstanding Car Ollie, Thank you for posting and jarring a twenty year old memory...

Olaf with the blue rs

1992 article from the PCA zone 1 may/June 1992 Northlander that I thought you may enjoy...

1992 Carrera RS

By Curt Hammill (Text and Photo)

In early 1991 I had heard that Porsche was coming out with some new models and I was ecstatic that they would be offering the Carrera RS lightweights. This is a performance car that uses the weight-to-power formula as a selling point. I have always considered all of the Spyders, 356GT, 356 Carrera, 911R, 911RS, and RSR’s very special models and felt that they kept the power-to-weight aspect in the forefront of their development. The Carrera Cup car and the Carrera RS will easily fit with this stand of historic cars.

In the later months of 1991 I was shocked to read that this new street performance car would not be offered in the USA. Though Porsche would offer the American RS 1992, there are subtle differences between it and the Carrera RS.

In April of this year (1992) I had set up an appointment with the documentation department to acquire the production data for my Porsche. When I arrived at the Porsche facilities in Ludwigsburg I found myself waiting in a showroom with several nice Porsches including a Signal Green Carrera Cup Car. As I waited to meet with Olaf Lang, who had the info I had requested on my car, I admired these Porsches. After Herr Lang arrived we went over the production data for my 1969 911E. During the course of our conversation the Carrera RS came up, I then found out that Herr Lang is a Porsche race car driver, and, among other Porsches, drives a Carrera Cup Car in the endurance cup races (i.e. 24 hours on the Nurburgring), and that he had just been out test driving a new Carrera Cup Car. (See your Pano for April 1992, page 51). He then asked if I would like to go for a test ride in a Carrera RS!!!!! Well, I jumped at the opportunity, after all it was a slow Monday, and this would definitely put me in the right frame of mind for the week. It was like a Genie granting three Porsche wishes, and getting two at the same time. The first wish was to ride in the Carrera RS, and the second to be piloted by one fast driver.

We walked down to a building in the back to pick up a Blue Carrera RS; along with the Blue RS there were nine 959’s in for factory service ($$$$$$$$$). We climbed in over the Recaro fiberglass seats, upholstered in color-coordinated leather. The seats have high balusters to handle the side G; I felt that the seats were functional as well as very comfortable (especially compared to my 1969 sport seats).

The distance from the facility to the autobahn was adequate to warm the engine and brakes. Lang handled the car smoothly as we four wheel drifted through the on-ramp and to the autobahn. The roadway had mild traffic, so we were able to check the RS’s acceleration on the top end (160) and also the stability of high speed braking. Olaf asked if I would like to drive the car, I refused- stating that I was enjoying the ride too much. I didn’t mention that I was more than slightly intimidated by Lang’s very professional driving skills. It was worth letting Lang drive the last off ramp anyway as the back lateral movement was faster than the front, Lang handled the situation perfectly.
    Last edited by Curt Hammill; 04-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.

There is an excellent discussion on Cup 1 wheels right now on Rennlist and your Cup Car photos are contributing to it. Thanks!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...l#post11261235

Hi Mark, This green cup car was new ... I think it is the same Cup car on page 1 and 8 of this forum post.

Last edited by Curt Hammill; 04-01-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Hi Guys,

I started that thread on Rennlist in an effort to find more on the Cup 1's I have in the garage. Many questions and interesting posts about these wheels!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

On the early cup cars, i.e. before the switch to 18" wheels, the Cup 1 wheels were aluminum alloy. The Euro RS always came with magnesium alloy Cup 1 wheels.

The wheel dimensions on the cup cars were 8 & 9,5x17 and 7,5 & 9x17 on the RS.
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by Anatol View Post
    On the early cup cars, i.e. before the switch to 18" wheels, the Cup 1 wheels were aluminum alloy. The Euro RS always came with magnesium alloy Cup 1 wheels.

The wheel dimensions on the cup cars were 8 & 9,5x17 and 7,5 & 9x17 on the RS.

that is correct, my Cup wheels at my 1991 Cup is Aluminium.

Raj

7.5 delta is 10.6 for Al Vs 8.4 or about 4.6 lbs, for the 9's it's 5.5 lbs, not huge but not insignificant, it's un-sprung weight, evil stuff

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658