Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

Mongrel Street Racer

I've been a lurker on here a little while although haven't really contributed (I do pay my subs though), based in the UK, I find this site invaluable as a reference source and just lately have found myself coming back more often…..I figured it was time I gave something back and thought you guys might be interested in my latest project…..

I'm pretty new to the world of early Porsches, I purchased my first car, an F series 911 2.4E, in November 2010 with the intention of turning it into a hot rod of sorts. As I stripped the car it became apparent that is was a little nicer than first thought and when I received back the Certificate of Authentication confirming matching numbers with a great original specification, I decided that the car deserved to taken back to how it first started life…..a 2½ year restoration journey started and I guess the car turned out pretty good…..

Details of the restoration can be viewed here - http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=35606

Final photos are here - http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=10&t=44242

I'm lucky to have the car featured in the latest issue (issue 21) of Classic Porsche Magazine….

Hi Darren,
    I just read the story in the mag! Impressive restoration and glad you found good people to help you.
    I especially liked the detail with the 13 year old kid who fell in love with the car and was reunited with the car after all those years

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Just read article, nice old photo!
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Mongrel Street Racer

Thank you Radmund, glad you liked the sory and appreciate the kind words.

Back to the Mongrel….

During my restoration I became friendly with the parts guys at my local OPC and one day they mentioned another customer of theirs who was looking to sell an early car which had sat idle since 1989.

At the time I was heavily involved with the restoration of my 2.4E, had little time or resources and the last thing I needed was another project……however, I still had a hot rod itch that hadn't yet been scratched and so eventually I went along to view the car half hoping it would it be cheap, rough, not too special and something I could have some fun with……

I guess you should be careful what you wish for…..the car sure turned out to be a dog!….

Nothing too special

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    I guess you should be careful what you wish for…..the car sure turned out to be a dog!….
    …..that said, the car had plenty going for it….it was an original RHD 1972 911T, somewhere along the line it had lost its original 2.4 engine and sporto gearbox and these had been replaced with a 2.2S engine coupled with a 915 5-speed gearbox!

Nothing too special or original then and perfect for a hot rod project.

Next it was time to decide exactly which way to go with the car?…….

Mongrel

mo´ngrel (mŭ´ngg-) n. & a. 1. n. dog of no definable
    type or breed, other animal or plant resulting from
    crossing of different breeds or types; 2. a. of mixed
    origin, nature, or character. 3. an early Porsche 911
    being neither one thing or another

Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    mo´ngrel (mŭ´ngg-) n. & a. 1. n. dog of no definable
    type or breed, other animal or plant resulting from
    crossing of different breeds or types; 2. a. of mixed
    origin, nature, or character. 3. an early Porsche 911
    being neither one thing or another
    I guess if you're taking a car back to its original specification or building an R, ST, RS or RSR tribute you have a set of plans and guiding principles to work with……having been constrained with originality on my 2.4E restoration I wanted this project to be pure fun, albeit with a serious outcome.

I decided this car was not going to be any one 'thing'…..inspiration is to come from all the great early racing and road going Porsches along with my own added twists, it will be a mix of all that came before it and not tied to any particular car or era….however wanting the car to remain a pretty period build I set myself a fictional criteria that the car was a hot rod built in 1978, anything that could have been done up to that date was a possibility and no other rules apply!

One thing it has to be though, and that's orange!…..

…there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so - William Shakespeare

Over the last year or so the specification on my Mongrel has been modified and evolved…..

….this is my current thinking, would love to know what you think?….

Shell
    Rebuilt shell with new inner front wings, front floor pan, cross panel, inner and outer sills,
    rear slam panel etc.
    Rear transmission tunnel modification with various strengthening mods.
    RS type front strut brackets
    Strengthening for roll hoop and harness points

Body
    Narrow body with lightly rolled arches
    New steel front wings and rear quarters, new steel door skins
    Composite Engine Lid
    Composite Bonnet
    Fibreglass R Type Front Bumper with slanted cut cooling slats
    Fibreglass Rear Bumper
    Sunroof Delete
    Inner door frames to be cut out, strengthened and left open
    Custom aluminium through horn grill ducting to channel cooling
    Custom rear engine lid grill
    Standard side windows, plexiglas front quarters with bubbles, plexiglas rear quarters,
    heated front and rear screens
    Cibie Biodes with Hella clear lenses, 2nd set - Marchal Amplilux both with SWB buckets
    Rubber hold down straps for bonnet and engine lid
    Lightweight R type door handles
    100 Litre Fuel Tank or 85 litre plastic tank - side fill
    Bosche battery kill switch on scuttle
    Lightweight rear lamp housings
    Aluminium plate guard tank protection front and engine protection

Paint
    Car finished in Porsche 018 Tangerine. Custom deep orange Porsche script and bumper stripes
    Satin black to under body, engine bay, under hood and complete interior to include the backs
    of doors, bonnet and engine lid. Satin black to extend into door shuts
    No underseal

Interior
    Stripped interior, delete knee pads, glove box etc. Sound deadening to floor and rear shelf
    Clock delete
    Custom 10K Tacho
    Custom Oil/Fuel Gauge
    180MPH Speedo
    Lightweight carpet set with RS type rubber matting
    Half roll bar with correct 40mm tubing
    Black head lining
    Leather straps to raise windows
    R type pull catches for door release
    Lightweight ST type drivers seat in smooth German black vinyl bolsters with basket weave
    inserts by Vintage Seats
    Lightweight R type passenger seat in smooth German black vinyl bolsters with basket weave
    inserts by Vintage Seats
    Lightweight Recaro seat sliders
    Steering Wheel – Momo Monza 360mm Black with original Momo 230 Hub and original large
    crest push, 350mm black dished Momom Protipo S for track work – horn to be dash mounted
    Repa front harnesses with tails
    Original 1972 Gloria fire extinguisher
    Possible plumbed in extinguisher system?

Suspension, Brakes (subject to modification)
    Aluminium rear trailing arms
    Koni/Bilstein adjustable front struts & rear dampers
    15mm front stabilizer
    15mm rear stabilizer
    25mm rear torsion bars - Correct?
    930 Turbo Calipers and brake system with twin cylinder peddle box and adjustable bias
    RS type front brace

Transmission, Wheels & Tyres
    Rebuilt 915 gearbox with ZF limited slip differential set at 40% lock
    Gear ratios TBD
    Deep 7R Rear Fuchs with frosted finish by Harvey Weidman running Avon CR6ZZ 215/60R15
    Deep 6 Front Fuchs with frosted finish by Harvey Weidman running Avon CR6ZZ 185/70R15
    Extended wheel studs with steel open wheel bolts

Engine
    2.2S engine fully rebuilt to 2.5 specification; cases bored to accept larger barrels and pistons
    boat tailed, line honed, shuffle pinned, oil pressure relief by-pass, time sert head studs,
    machined barrel decks, oil squirters, heavy duty head studs, heads bored to accept twin spark
    open out stacks etc – target of 100BHP per litre
    43mm High Butterfly Induction
    Inlet and outlet ports machined to suit
    New 89x66mm Mahle Barrels & Pistons
    Twin Spark Distributor with custom body - possible Magneti Marelli TS Distributor
    GE60 Cams
    Custom Sump plate
    Lightweight clear engine shroud
    Custom Race Headers (no heat)
    Silenced twin out exhaust with custom tips
    3.2 matrix oil cooler with external sill pipes
    Oil catch tank

Thought your car looked familiar . . . that Classic Porsche cover just showed-up, here . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ats-Cornpanzer.....

Just getting started on reading your resto-thread, but it sounds like a nice car, already. And great to read that you managed to put-together some history, too. I especially like those early-'80s pictures taken by the 13-year-old Andrew M . . .

. . . fog + rally lights, rear wing . . .

. . . people STILL put that stuff on!

Anyway --- thank you for sharing your project. Looking forward to reading/seeing more

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Darren, is your drawings coming from Chris Jury ?
    Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407