Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

Bravo Darren! I love to see these cars being driven hard and used as intended. So much fun - keep up the good work.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Love the photos and the build - well done!

fantastic.....all around..........thanks for sharing it all....... fantastic once again.

i dont see many builds that show me all my would be choices....this one may have nailed it.

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

As for using the cars, that very much applies to the real RS and RSR pictured with mine below.....

....neither guy was hanging around or being precious and great to see these cars being properly used.

Just a bunch of guys thrashing their cars and having fun......just as it should be!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    Hi Darren,

It is fantastic to see such an awesome build being well used and driven hard!

Would you please give some feedback on your tyre set up now you have done some kms?

I see you have gone through a set of Avons...did you have any clearance issues and did you replace with the same combination?

I am about to order new tyres and would like to go with the Avon 215/60/15 on a 7r on a LWB

Thanks in advance

Nathan
    Hi Nathan,

Although I would have hoped the tyres lasted more than 8,000 miles I'm sticking with Avons, they're just sssoooooo good!

I was tempted to try the Pirelli CN36 now they're produced in 215/60's but it's an expensive decision so sticking with what I know.

The car was set up by Chris Franklin at Centre Gravity in the UK who really knows his trade - when it comes to ride height he simplifies things by talking about a 'two finger' set up (between fender arch and tyre) being factory standard or 'one finger' (as with mine) being lower but still compliant for bumpy B-road use. Aesthetically the car would probably look sharper if a little lower although that would compromise handling on some minor roads and I wouldn't be able to drive as quick.

The car is fitted with sport Koni's which I have on a mid setting (firmer on track), has rolled arches and bar a minor issue with the oil pipes I've never had any clearance issues once it was properly set up. It is pretty tight though.

I've found the set-up perfect for the roads I drive and being light and narrow I've never held anyone up on twisties.......not even the RSR!

HTH

Cheers,

Ive never seen a real rs and rsr just hangin and driving, outside of a racetrack of course.......very nice trio there.

Quote Originally Posted by joelrkaplan View Post
    Ive never seen a real rs and rsr just hangin and driving, outside of a racetrack of course.......very nice trio there.
    I know, pretty surreal!.....

Magic moment for me was when Rob invited me to try his RS (chassis number 348 no less!) over the Black Mountains....I've never been so terrified!.....Paul who owns the RSR is a long time Porsche nut and racer, he lives a life I could only dream of and has the talent to go with it too

....but at the end of day even those of us with 'regular' cars had just as much fun, such is the beauty of our hobby!

Love your latest entry, Darren. The pics, the scenery, stereotypical weather conditions, crown jewel cars being flogged...

This thread reads like a Best of... very nice

-Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hi Darren, hope you don't mind that I took a little inspiration from the mongrel.

Name:  IMG_2172_k.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  68.1 KB

Wonderful detail Uli, love the strengthening rib .......would love to see more of your project?

Also nice to think that my Mongrel build might inspire others

Cheers,