Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    Not overly keen on the look of aluminium turning knob…..black anodising or painting will help although would ideally like to change this for something a little more period in appearance…..any suggestions?

Cheers,
    How about a Quarter vent knob from a 1960's Benz?

Like this...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  58.1 KB
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    Thanks......a little bit of a mod and that could well work.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Also used on BMW 2002's 68-76

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post

Like this...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  58.1 KB

915 Gearbox….

Another recent trip saw me travel up to Mike Bainbridge in Cumbria to drop off my LSD and watch my gearbox being stripped….

….an 8 hour round trip for me but well worth the hike. Mike is recognised as one of UK's top early gearbox builders and his knowledge goes all the way back to the early 70's when he first started working on these cars. He rebuilt the 915 box in my 2.4E which is just superb and a joy to use so I know I'm in safe hands.

The Mongrel came with a 1970 2.2S engine fitted with this 915 although condition was unknown. I did toy with the idea of finding a 901 box and it was suggested I try more modern internals (Redtek Engineering have developed G50 type internal gearing to fit inside a 915) however I want to retain the feel of an early car and this 915 will be well suited to the 2.5 short stroke.

When I got to Mike the gearbox was mounted and ready for disassembly ….

…it turned out to be a 1972 box in pretty good condition…

…the serial number had long been worn away although I learnt Mike numbers all his rebuilds and keeps a detailed log of work and components, my box is now 251…

….I called in on Ben Coles on the way back to drop off my end case for some machining work and fitting of his RS gearbox pump and spray bar kit to aid cooling, similar to this…

…..other upgrades will include a bearing retainer plate and stronger side cover with a larger differential carrier bearing to cope with the extra BHP. LSD was supplied by Matt Monson at Guard Transmission, not a ZF admittedly but still a plate style diff that came highly recommended ….

…the box also requires a couple of gear sets which I'll also be going back to GT for ... http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com/ … this gives me the opportunity to play around with ratios and match them to the engine …I just need to choose from this lot!..

Final drive will be 7:31. I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about here however discussion with Mike was that I'd like to keep the car very punchy and on cam through the gears, taking advantage of the 8K rev limit with a taller top gear for cruising.
    Drivable but a screamer all the same!

Mike made the following recommendation but also suggested I run this past Nick (who's building the engine) as he'll have a better take on the characteristics of the engine. Decision was also based on what I have already.

Thinking of:…….

AZ JW NT PQ ZA

To make choice even more difficult, Guard Transmissions offer multiple custom ratios as well!

If any experts would like to chip in with suggestions then please feel free.

Cheers,

Thats a very big gap between 1st and second…..I'd make 2nd an ET or HY

Do you mean TM for 5th instead of ZA? Pretty tall but maybe you want a tall 5th for cursing on the motorway? M

From memory I had AEKQV with a 2.3 twin plug engine and it was pretty spanky A bit revvy on the open road though…..

My pick would be - BY ET MT PQ SN. Lots of fun choosing !
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post

... but maybe you want a tall 5th for cursing on the motorway?

I think there will be plenty of that !
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    I think there will be plenty of that !
    Tis' true….I hate motorways!

Twin Spark….

Circumstance means that this project has taken a back seat of late

Consoling myself and getting my Porsche fix by buying the odd trinket….

….a twelve shooter to top my MM dizzy ….

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    My personal 7:31 gearbox ratios using the stock 1st gear, 11:35 AZ, 2nd 15:30 EU, 3rd 21:29 LT, 4th 25:26 PQ, 5th 28:23. I find tall first gears to hard to get going and to hard on clutches. I also like even gear spacing and lowering 2nd to close that gap. Gled

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    My personal 7:31 gearbox ratios using the stock 1st gear, 11:35 AZ, 2nd 15:30 EU, 3rd 21:29 LT, 4th 25:26 PQ, 5th 28:23. I find tall first gears to hard to get going and to hard on clutches. I also like even gear spacing and lowering 2nd to close that gap. Gled
    Thanks Gled,

Appreciate the feedback

Cheers,