Page 23 of 60 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

RS Gearbox Oil Pump.....

Picked up my gear box housing from Ben Coles yesterday who has machined it to take his RS gearbox oil pump and spray bar kit.
    He's sold a few of these lately and was in the process of making a new batch when I arrived....amazed how simple the jigs are...

...braze welded and finished in BZP they make a pretty nice kit along with the gears and magnesium housing.

The RS pump is on the left......the case shown right belongs to a friend who has gone for an RSR type to use with an external oil cooler..

Cheers,

More retail therapy!....

Also picked up the final parts I needed for my engine build....

...aluminium heat deflectors...

....and a racing oil filter housing with disk type filter ....

...the 226mm small fan housing was recently sourced from Crawford Composites, a good value product and great company to deal with. Ideally the housing would be magnesium rather than aluminium however no luck trying to source one so I'll black anodise tjis one and possibly paint it to replicate a dark chromate finish.

The engine spec has evolved over time but my 2.2S will now be as close to a racing spec 2.5 litres short-stroke unit as I can get, should look and sound awesome....now I just need to get this baby built, can't wait!

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I feel your excitement. Gled
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I feel your excitement. Gled
    Yum!.....that's some look!

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Darren, I'll give you a tip on the oil filter console. I'v been using mine for 20 years, it was new when I got it. I always saw the covers deformed on them, so I took the Mag/Alu case washers, ground a flat on them and install them under the cover studs and tighten down against them. Had the cover off a hundred times, still perfect. I torque cover to 8.3 ft lbs (100 in lbs), tight against washers. Picture is a customer console before refinishing and the cover has been flattened. Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for the tip Gordon, will follow your lead.

I also see you use a rubber seal rather than cork.

Cheers,

Some guys love building/restoring cars…….fun, but I prefer driving them!

….so to get this stalled project back on track I've hassled all those involved and this is THE new plan….

….paint completed November…
    ….assembly from December…
    ….engine and gearbox fit March….
    ….driving late Spring…

…I've pretty much now got all my ducks lined up……..what could possibly go wrong!

Magneti Marelli Twin Spark Distributor….

….well one of the things that could have gone wrong was this…

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    ….although I couldn't resist a new heart for the twin spark ignition…

….I've been asked a couple of times about my Ben Coles reproduction MM dizzy and whether they'd fit early cases?…I had no idea they wouldn't, I guess you never stop learning and as this photo shows MM distributors evolved over time….

….a great thing with early Porsche enthusiasts is the sharing of knowledge and a big thanks to Wilfrid for highlighting the differences between early and late Magneti Marelli twin spark distributors.

The later RSR type distributors have a wider input shaft and although I'd have happily machined my case to accept this, the additional cast bracket just doesn't work….I understand these have been machined off by others in the past to get the later type dizzy to fit…..

….I mentioned the earlier distributors to Ben, 'not a problem' he said, 'others have enquired about these as well so I'll produce them and add them to my product range'……I guess easy when you know how!

So, yesterday I dropped off an original early distributor borrowed from a friend for Ben to copy…..

….seen here with a later casting…

…..and in a couple of weeks I'll have a perfect reproduction early Magneti Marelli twin spark distributor to swap with my later type….

...problem solved!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post
    Thats a very big gap between 1st and second…..I'd make 2nd an ET or HY

Do you mean TM for 5th instead of ZA? Pretty tall but maybe you want a tall 5th for cursing on the motorway? M

From memory I had AEKQV with a 2.3 twin plug engine and it was pretty spanky A bit revvy on the open road though…..

My pick would be - BY ET MT PQ SN. Lots of fun choosing !
    Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    My personal 7:31 gearbox ratios using the stock 1st gear, 11:35 AZ, 2nd 15:30 EU, 3rd 21:29 LT, 4th 25:26 PQ, 5th 28:23. I find tall first gears to hard to get going and to hard on clutches. I also like even gear spacing and lowering 2nd to close that gap. Gled
    Thanks for feedback guys, what type of engines are you running?

I've now settled on…

1st 11:35 AZ
    2nd 17:35 GZ
    3rd 21:29 LT
    4th 25:26 PQ
    5th 29:22 TM

This uses stock 1st and 5th; wondering if I should go a little taller on 2nd like Cam and Gled although pretty much decided….I think!

Just waiting to hear back from Matt Monson at GT Gears and then on to rebuild.

Cheers,

From little acorns….

I do like fun stuff…..

….especially when it's really clever fun stuff!