Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

Very impressive....after i'm reeding the lot of pages....
    Thx Darren
    JLC
    69 912 BARN FIND......55Kmiles
    79 SC us import

1702 member

Quote Originally Posted by rapido View Post
    ....after i'm reeding the lot of pages....
    Wow....no doubt a good cure for insomnia!

Thanks for the kind comment JLC, much appreciated.

Alas, the dark, wet, miserable UK weather with salt laden roads is spoiling my fun at the moment.......I'll just have to content myself with tweeking and toying, seeing how the engine looks with open trumpets and the like until I get the opportunity to go driving. At least the car is dirty!

One thing for sure.....I'll be letting the Mongrel off its leash every chance I get!

Cheers,

Darren, I love the car. You really saw this one through. Happy trails. -Matt
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Darren, I love the car. You really saw this one through. Happy trails. -Matt
    Thanks Matt

Fan Housing Finish?.....

One of the changes I wanted to make to this car was the look of fan and housing....it looks like I've now sourced a correct magnesium small housing which I'll swap out from the current aluminium item......freshly chromated it should look pretty good although want to try and replicate a more authentic look for the fan itself....

....I actually liked the finish of the fan as it was........wrong, but a nice look....

Now I'm always a little cautious with what I read on the web as much can be regurgitated forum talk so try to balance this with period photos. However even these can be a little misleading....the finish of the fan in some photos can seem pretty light in colour.....

...although less so in others.....

....whereas the 700 mile 911S car, photo courtesy of David Conklin, shows what it'll (probably) look like in a few hundred miles anyway!.....

....I've seen Andy Boyle post somewhere(?) exactly what created the original finish although I understand this is sadly no longer possible....therefore I went with the current thinking and used Tectyl.....initially the finish looked like it was going to be miles off......

...however after a couple of coats followed by a little heat gun use to smooth things off it's turned out ok....

...I think this will age quite well but would be interested to hear what others think of the look?

Cheers,

Darren,

What crank pulley size are you using with the 226 mm fan and 95 mm fan pulley? You may have already posted this earlier, but I am wanting to use a 226 mm fan on my 3.0 MFI engine with the 95 mm fan pulley for the look...but need to keep the air flow in good range. The largest factory crank pulley is 131 mm I think, which doesn't give a very good ratio for cooling (1.38).
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I wonder if the fans in the pictures with Mark Donahue , since they would have been factory cars, might have used fiberglass fans ? I have a Elva flat fan 4 Cam engine and the fan is fiberglass. The Elva ran in approx. 1963.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    I wonder if the fans in the pictures with Mark Donahue , since they would have been factory cars, might have used fiberglass fans?.......
    I also wondered about that Mike although the following close-up photo seems to suggest the fan does have some sort of coating....

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Darren,

What crank pulley size are you using with the 226 mm fan and 95 mm fan pulley? You may have already posted this earlier, but I am wanting to use a 226 mm fan on my 3.0 MFI engine with the 95 mm fan pulley for the look...but need to keep the air flow in good range. The largest factory crank pulley is 131 mm I think, which doesn't give a very good ratio for cooling (1.38).
    Sorry for the slow reply Gib....

....I had no idea of crank pulley size although it seems to be approximately 118mm, would that be correct?.........approximately 1,700 miles to date and no heat issues although Southern England and Arizona have slightly different climates!

However I have found my car is melting......re-fitted my wax coated fan earlier along with open trumpets and found the coating started to melt after a spirited drive!

Cheers,

I tried but no cigar!

Fan going back to it's chromate finish soon!

Cheers,