Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this really allowed in this forum? Is it really ethical??

Hi Wilfrid! I had no idea it was you, had I known, I would have contacted you first. I can't get irritated by you even if I tried!

Thank you for your understanding.

Merry Xmas!

Armando

And they lived happily ever after...

THE END
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Merry Christmas to all!

IMHO I think it's actually silly to use handles as identifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    its a function of the software this site uses. I am sure no one intended anything by using a similar user name...why we dont just use our real names is another question. Seems a little silly that we all go by site 'handles'.
    Hello Louie, You are correct. All applications have some ability to cross-check for duplication of records as those have to be unique (one of many basic building blocks of a relationanl database). I'm now sure what happened was that my friend Wilfrid simply entered his 'first choice' Member ID "914-6 GT" which the system accepted since it appeared available and unique at first glance. Not all apps check for 'case sensitivity' and some accept 'blank spaces, etc.' as special charectors allowing new names to be created that read exectly the same.

If an application is not sophiticated enough to detect 'case-sensitivity' in a string of characters, in the same sequantial order, it will simply allow the record to be created. I was aware of this, but I also presumed the new member "914-6 GT" was the same individual who had before duplicated my eBay I.D. just a few months ago (see below). Very same situation as what happened here. eBay should not have allowed it, but they did. BTW, I just happened to search again today and I don't see it anymore, maybe that eBay member changed his ID back to what it was, and after I complained about it.

The first eBay ID entry you'll see below is "9146gt", created about 3 or so years ago. It reads exactly as my eBay ID which I've had since April 2000. Would I now want to possibly be confused or mistaken by someone else? With 100% perfect feedback, I don't think so...

ERASE eBay ID 9146gt Two Hits.jpg

...and my eBay ID, "914-6gt"

ERASE eBay ID 914-6gt.jpg

...this other eBay ID "9146gt" which reads exactly like mine belonged to Steve at Steve's Indenpendent in O.C. (I've known Steve for years, he had some health issues and hope he's doing well, not sure if the shop remains open).

ERASE eBay ID 9146gt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 914-6gt View Post
    Hello Louie, You are correct. All applications have some ability to cross-check for duplication of records as those have to be unique (one of many basic building blocks of a relationanl database). I'm now sure what happened was that my friend Wilfrid simply entered his 'first choice' Member ID "914-6 GT" which the system accepted since it appeared available and unique at first glance. Not all apps check for 'case sensitivity' and some accept 'blank spaces, etc.' as special charectors allowing new names to be created that read exectly the same.

If an application is not sophiticated enough to detect 'case-sensitivity' in a string of characters, in the same sequantial order, it will simply allow the record to be created. I was aware of this, but I also presumed the new member "914-6 GT" was the same individual who had before duplicated my eBay I.D. just a few months ago (see below). Very same situation as what happened here. eBay should not have allowed it, but they did. BTW, I just happened to search again today and I don't see it anymore, maybe that eBay member changed his ID back to what it was, and after I complained about it.

The first eBay ID entry you'll see below is "9146gt", created about 3 or so years ago. It reads exactly as my eBay ID which I've had since April 2000. Would I now want to possibly be confused or mistaken by someone else? With 100% perfect feedback, I don't think so...

ERASE eBay ID 9146gt Two Hits.jpg

...and my eBay ID, "914-6gt"

ERASE eBay ID 914-6gt.jpg

...this other eBay ID "9146gt" which reads exactly like mine belonged to Steve at Steve's Indenpendent in O.C. (I've known Steve for years, he had some health issues and hope he's doing well, not sure if the shop remains open).

ERASE eBay ID 9146gt.jpg
    Armando,

I believe Steve's former car (the white one in your photo) is currently sitting in my shop.

Any info you have on the car or the previous owner that validates the story I have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Armando,

I believe Steve's former car (the white one in your photo) is currently sitting in my shop.

Any info you have on the car or the previous owner that validates the story I have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hello Marco, I've seen the car in the past, but I have no information about the 911 of its previous owner. Is there a 'thread/post' about "the story you have". I'm not aware of it...

Hello Marco, I've seen the car in the past, but I have no information about the 911 of its previous owner. Is there a 'thread/post' about "the story you have". I'm not aware of it...
    No...nothing public...simply word of mouth.

The story I was told was that the car was owned/built by a shop owner who built it for himself but developed MS and was unable to use the car. He sold it on to the current owner.

It's now sitting in my shop and soon to be listed for sale. If its the same car pictures, I have nothing but high praise for the car ... solid, honest 1975 chassis with all the cool upgrades. It's essentially a European Carrera 2.7L clone. Very well done mechanically.
    -Marco

GM Marco, Steve is an excellent mechanic who has worked on Porsches for as long as I can remember, I was seventeen when I first met him and that was 40 years ago (he rebuilt one of my 916 gearboxes). Unfortunately he was afflicted with MS and you know the rest.

GM Marco, Steve is an excellent mechanic who has worked on Porsches for as long as I can remember, I was seventeen when I first met him and that was 40 years ago (he rebuilt one of my 916 gearboxes). Unfortunately he was afflicted with MS and you know the rest.
    I can honestly say, the dude built one hell of a good car. It's an MFI 2.7L with modified 2.2L fuel injection ... runs like a raped ape when you open the taps, but it's docile as a lamb when you want it to be. The whole car is just really, really, well done.

Someone will be very happy with it in their garage.
    -Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Mac911 View Post
    Merry Christmas to all!

IMHO I think it's actually silly to use handles as identifiers.
    Then put your name in your signature
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga