Thread: 'Green-tagging'?

'Green-tagging'?

Came across this post --- describing Factory identification of a higher-than-standard-spec motor . . .

http://www.911e.org/microsite.php?9113200707

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . just clicked over and went thru the description of the white 911E in the link above, and the part about the car's engine having been "green tagged" in the factory for higher output engine? Is that true? . . . Never heard about green tagging at the factory. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? . . .
    This post was never answered. Has anyone ever heard of this?

We Can Be Heroes

On a tour of the Factory in 1979, one of the folks on the tour told us he had looked at the tags on the engines lined up around the Engine Test Stand (see photos below) and had asked that a particular engine (highest output) be installed in the car he would be picking up later in the week. I know he was a very good customer (over 30 cars purchased since the 50's) and would likely have had his request acted on.

But I have never seen a 'green tag' on an engine in any of the tours I took in the 70's or 80's.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  83.5 KB
    Joe Hartman
    Early 911S Registry #157
    R Gruppe #174
    356 Registry

I've not heard that either.....

However, as I think I've said here before, I know someone who roomed with a guy that worked 'on the line' back in the '70's. Assembly line workers did rotate jobs and, if you did your worked well would eventually rotate to be one of the '1 gallon road testers' and evaluators (as depicted in the film doc. 'One for the Road') This guy said when he tested the cars they all ran good... but some ran a little better then others.....

I love to think of the possibility that what he said to my friend was true..........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

When I toured the factory in the early 70s, I was told that if an engine did not dyno enough hp, it would be torn apart & rebuilt. If an engine was on the other end of the curve, it would be put aside for special customers

Tom

Bümp!

Been a while, I know --- coupla years, almost --- but . . .

. . . has anyone else read about/heard of/come across this term?

Maybe some notations on a Kardex, bill-of-sale, Faktory docs, etc, etc, etc? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Funny they have, what appears to be, an assembly line, production Tach on the Dyno gauge board

Green Tagging?

Another mention --- regarding the McQueen 911 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
    . . . There was a Playboy interview with him (one I can actually claim to have read) about the time the movie came out. If I remember correctly, he said the factory presented him with the car during filming when they learned he planned to show a Porsche winning the race. He was extremely proud of the car because it was a "family" car - one pulled off the assembly line and hand built to exacting tolerances as was done for a Porsche board member or member of the Porsche or Piech family when they got cars for their personal use . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Does that mean it would not have paint drips and such? They built them to a pretty high standard already compared to other cars at the time. I question the idea that one 2.2 lyrics engine would be that much more powerful than another. 1+1 always equals 2- right?
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I went to the Porsche factory in 1998 and they said on the tour that every engine is is tested for horse power output and if the horse power was where it should be or more they left it alone, but if was less even by one increment they took the whole engine apart and started over, but no mention of green tagging at all.