Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Dealer - Code UN ?

New York Dealer - Code UN ?

Can anyone help me identify a supplying dealer from 1973 in New York - code UN ?

Thanks
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

Phil
    I am not aware of the "UN" code for the USA.
    I have only the following ones for 1973 from the RS book
    UA- Johnson
    UL- Art Bunker
    UF- Harmon?
    UJ- Brumos
    UH- Hagestadt
    UD- Holbert
    UC- Hilligoss?

However that is not to say that it did not exist.

According to the attached document "Porsche dealer list 1973" there were 12 "exclusive distributors" in the USA in 1973. I presume there is a separate two letter code for each.

The document shows that NY was served by "Porsche-Audi eastern" in Orangeburg NY. It also shows the next level down, the dealers, for each state

Rick Kreiskott did some good work in this thread identifying both the distributors and dealers by number. However that was based on 1969 data and I have not been able to reconcile all of those numbers with the two letter codes used in 1973. I think a part of the reason is that between 1969 and 1973 they went from 7 or 8 distributors to the 12 in 1973 and changed some of the codes along the way.

So the attached document (file is too large to post here so I have taken a copy of each page and posted separately) shows all of the NY dealers in 1973 if that is what you want, but it does not allow a reconciliation with the "UN" code

For what it is worth I think the code that covered NY (NE region) in 1969 was 917 but by 1973 the NE region was split into what appears to be 3 distributors (V of A NE MA; Volkswagen Atlantic PA; and Porsche-Audi Eastern NY), one of which (Volkswagen Atlantic PA) was UD for Holbert.

I hope that this helps, and maybe it will revive the old debate about dealer and distributor numbers again
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

rest of the document for posterity
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I've been wondering about this stuff too. I have two cars that I don't know where they were sold, a '73S delivered to UH (San Antonio) and a '71E to UF (San Francisco). I do know that my '73S targa, delivered to UL (St. Louis), was sold at Art Bunker Porshe Audi in Overland Park, KS. Clearly they were not always sold where they were delivered.

Hugh, thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I will carry out further research to see if I can get a list of other codes if they are unknown. I will post my findings if successful
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

New York is a broad term. Applies to both the City and the State. Lived in New York in '67/'68 while go to engineering school. I would walk up to the Manhattan dealership on Sundays to drool against the window (closed on Sunday). They were then on 6th Avenue at 17th or 18th street. At some point thereafter, they moved up to what appears to be the Lexington Avenue location. I think it was on the side of the Pan Am building. I think is was called Manhattan Porsche but would not swear to that. I am sure a little internet searching would yield the actual name,

Old post, but I was searching to find more information about the Manhatten dealership where my car was delivered. I think it was called Porsche Motorcars of Manhattan. If anyone knows anything about this dealership I would love to hear about it. I would also love to buy a vintage dealer frame for this dealer. A bit like finding a needle in a haystack, I,known!

Just know a little about the dealership. My wife was going to NYU and I was going to Cooper Union. We lived in Greenwich Village. On Sunday I would walk up to the dealership for recreation and peer in the Windows. They were not open on Sunday. The location was I think 6th Avenue and either 17th or 18th street. Usually had about 6 cars at any given time. Were not selling either VW's or Audi's from that location. Exclusively Porsche. It was corner building and if I recall they had the service area entrance on the side street. I don't recall seeing any used cars being sold from there. They were still there when we moved back to Jersey in '68. They later moved up to a fancy show room on Lexington Avenue just above Grand Central Station. Might have been located in the Pan Am building side. I have a '67 911 and Kardex shows the owner was living on Long Island. Suspect he worked in New York. His car's Kardex says Handler: POAC Teaneck, was in north New Jersey. I think all cars came through there as I believe the Port of Entry was at that time Port Elizabeth, NJ. If you find a frame, please post. I'd like to see it.

You need a time frame. Nearly all dealers and distributors changed in some form when they became Porsche/Audi.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM912 View Post
    . . . Old post, but I was searching to find more information about the Manhattan dealership where my car was delivered. I think it was called Porsche Motorcars of Manhattan. If anyone knows anything about this dealership I would love to hear about it . . .
    Me, too

Lotsa stories about these kindsa places. Love to hear some --- + here. How many passions began . . . w/ a walk by a store?

Meanwhile . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post668467

. . . and . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post730347

Hth . . .

. . . they're out there
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-11-2021 at 07:24 AM.

We Can Be Heroes