Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slate Gray paint codes throughout the years?

I got a colour sample from John Wilhoit and checked it in various light conditions with an original car... then there is the process of getting that sample analyzed and matched... different for Glasurit, PPG, and all other manufacturers I guess.
    I have seen many different variations and expect none are exact to the factory spec as ingredients in paint formulations have changed so much over the past 50 years...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Here is what popped out the first time in the computer for Glasurit 22 line single stage about 8 months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi, I have painted quite a few slate grey cars. Here is more pics using 22 line. The variance across paint suppliers is more than you think.

https://canfordclassics.co.uk/collec...920-leman-2-2s

Schiefergrau

An old 1 kilogram can of Glasurit 206 repair paint.
    The label was printed as 6601, but someone altered it to read 6801.

Name:  DSCN0392.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  83.4 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I've owned several 6401 color 356 Carreras, all were slightly different in color. One that I had repainted many years ago had a medium blue primer under the original paint.
    I have a pic somewhere that shows the original paint worn thin and you can see the blue that was under the slate. Check with Bruce Canapa. His company recently painted a slate grey Carrera Cab, may still be on their website. This was one of my old girls.
    Rusty

Name:  Family.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  117.6 KB

Old pic, but you can see the left quarter. My wife is holding our daughter who now has given us two grandsons.
    Rusty

@rusty
    did you had some sort of kinder seat in the back??

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

No kinder seats, but somehow the kids survived. Vacation we trailered the Carrera behind a GMC motor coach Eleganza ll. Then jumped in the Carrera for local stuff. Two kids, wife and dog. My God that was a fun time. The one in the pic is 37 this year. Ramble, ramble, ramble.
    Been a great journey with my family and Porsche friends. The Carrera alway drew a crowd and plenty of notes on the windshield.
    Rusty

perfect trailer story and yes, a quite impressive combination of the gmc and the carrera, wow....

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Just ran across this thread . . .

My wife and I were going through this "research project" a few months back when we decided to do a color change on our '70T Coupe. While we weren't overly bent out of shape to get an exact match (to what standard???) we didn't want it to be obviously wrong either. Fortunately for us, the guys at Stalltek are quite particular about color AND had a couple of original slate gray samples (a '60 cab and a salvaged 356 dash) for reference. They painted a spare 911 hood for us: one side using the "official" Glasurit single stage formula and the other with their own PPG recipe.

While I would not make any claims about correctness, I will say that their formula was pretty much spot on with both of their original references in various lighting conditions and the Glasurit sample was much, much darker by comparison. I was talking to the "paint and body man" at Bach Racecraft in Verona, WI and as soon as I said "Glasurit formula" he started shaking his head saying, "not right . . . too dark". They had their own formulation but I can't remember what it was or the brand of paint.

It's an interesting color and its character changes significantly with different ambient light. If its near grass or trees, the green tones dominate. Blue sky makes it cool down and look more steely. And when the sun starts to fade it gets dark FAST to the point where it looks almost black.

Here's a couple of cellphone pics of mine. It will have red upholstery.

Name:  TTail2.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  TTail1.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  59.6 KB
    1970 Porsche 911T Coupe
    1970 Porsche 914 6-cyl Conversion
    2014 BMW 328i Sports Wagon
    1988 BMW M3
    1991 BMW M-Technic Convertible