Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 73.5 CIS cold start

Speaking of 73.5 cold start…anybody have a picture of the decal that went on the windshield that outlined the "correct" routine on how to do this without bombing the air box?
    Per Schroeder

I have this procedure from the manual.

Name:  Cold+Start1321486541.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  64.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Very interesting. I just came across this. I've had my 73.5 for over 35 years, and the owners manual is happily in the glovebox. I note above it says with the car is warm, to fully depress the gas pedal on starting. But I was told at some point that that was a huge no no - and to always in all conditions to use only the hand throttle. This was allegedly to avoid blowing up the air box. I'm wondering what the current thoughts are on this. Is the manual right - or did later experience prove that the factory was wrong?

1974 2.7, NOT an S
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    Very interesting. I just came across this. I've had my 73.5 for over 35 years, and the owners manual is happily in the glovebox. I note above it says with the car is warm, to fully depress the gas pedal on starting. But I was told at some point that that was a huge no no - and to always in all conditions to use only the hand throttle. This was allegedly to avoid blowing up the air box. I'm wondering what the current thoughts are on this. Is the manual right - or did later experience prove that the factory was wrong?
    Hi Jay,
    I have an early 74 (engine 2557 of 4000?) with CIS (probably the same as the 73.5 version), and have read the reason for not using the gas pedal to start the car, is that it could make the start mixture too lean, which can lead to a backfire, which can (will?) blow up your airbox...

I did a write up on changing the cold start lever- lever (the white part under the hand brake assy), and my understanding of gas pedal/cold start lever interaction, and why you should press on the gas pedal, BEFORE you pull the cold lever up, and then take your foot off the gas pedal before turning the key..

I won't post the link here (a different forum...) but you can find it by searching "When actuating the hand throttle" on the Pelican 911 technical forum.

I hope that whole series of posts helps (all 7 pages!)

Paul

1974 2.7, NOT an S
    Oh, as an aside, I live in Hawaii (never too hot, never too cold) and 80-82 is the normal daytime temp.

First start of the day, I pull the cold start lever up, if it is already warmed up, I don't.

And when I do pull it up, I lower the lever, and idle RPMs to about 2000 right after it starts (otherwise it is about 3000)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616532
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FunWithPaul; 04-23-2024 at 01:07 PM.