Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth saving 301085

Is it worth saving 301085

Hi I have a early 911 at the crossroads of its future do I hot rod it more or try to save it, the good points, the body is in great condition, front fenders, doors, bonnet, engine decklid original,matching engine,gearbox,chassis no's. engine is short stroke with mahle 2.8 RSR B/P webber carbs 2.4 S heads S cams approx 210HP car weight 830 KG Gearbox in the car (not the original ) is 901 with ZF LSD 1st std 2 3 4 5 close ratio 904 shaft.Brakes and suspension original 71000 Miles The bad I do not have a lot of the original trim, solex carbs F&Rear bumpers ,it has been converted to RHD but the tub has not been hacked so not hard to convert back to LHD. It was last reg in the USA California in 1979 with a Rayjay turbo fitted and EMPI barrels 2.4 Lit I think so if anybody has any history I would be happy to hear from you Regards Peter

Very interesting. Probably keep it like it is at least until you need an engine rebuild. Source another case for the rebuild and return the original to original spec. You have that with the trans already it seems.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Peter901, the question is ? what do you enjoy more, the way it is ( personally a love it ) or you think you would be happier with a stock orig car.
    Lovely car !
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Peter,

what you have listed as attributes, the go fast engine and parts, have been on the early car wishlist for the last 30 years. Enjoy it. Drive the stink out of it.

But if you want to return it back to it's as delivered condition, good for you. I'm thinking a left hand drive may have a larger world market - but a right hand drive is far more desirable within a somewhat smaller market.

For the past decade any 911 with a serial number of 1000 or less was a must restore car. Your cars April 1965 build date is in the heart of the 1965 car range. Needing up to 100K reconstruction/restoring for a numbers matching car is well within break-even expectations.

I don't see any bad decisions for this car..... (your not thinking about a turbo look race car are you?)

Good luck finding it's history.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Hi Bob(your not thinking about a turbo look race car are you?) thinking more 911R

this a point why I posted my question of how many are left... although the car has been molested from original, it still may have greater value when leaning toward original than being modified more... the decision is about value in the market place... otherwise have at and enjoy it as much as you can in any way you like... from the money side save it, glean what you can... you may be able to gain enough to pay for a couple of newer not as desirable / discardable model

Slight modification

911R.

Peter, Your my kinda guy...

I took the opportunity to fit out a 1964 car to be a tribute to it's lost sister car 055. A Big event (Rennsport 4) was being planned and a hole needed to be filled to honor the first 911 entered into international competition - but that car was not to be found after 20+ years of looking. This Tribute car had been raced for a decade and under the carpet was the mountings for the roll bar - lots of features could be brought into play with out major modification to the base body. Drilled lids, and bumpers, additional lights and wiring, fresh roll bar to match the period, Halda and a set of Heuer Timers, the Butler flex light. Correct six panel houndstooth passengers seat and a matching "R" drivers seat. Custom steering wheel. The engine and suspension had already been "upgraded" ;-) . All told - the modifications were reversible.

Two photos: The Tribute at PCA event in Michigan and Rennsport 4 in California.

Third photo as it was returned to "almost" stock. (Yes the Tribute has now been retired)...

The kicker of the story - the real Monte car came out of storage - look for it to come public in Europe in a year or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

The title of your post is "is it worth saving?"...... and then you describe a solid car that has a bunch of cool mods...

IMHO, hot rods don't need to be "saved" from proper modifications, and it doesn't sound or look like your car needs mechanical rescuing of any kind. In fact, sounds like someone has done a bunch of expensive work for you. To me, unless you want a totally stock looking car, the missing trim is just part of "added lightness".... think WWII fighter plane; essential, no extra hoo-hah to slow you down.

The RHD hacking is a shame, and that might be something to properly reverse.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

So? . . .

. . . what did you decide? . . .

. . . and any updates?

We Can Be Heroes

Such a cool looking car. Just something very purposeful about it, especially in that color.

I might've been tempted to add brightwork back to the side windows, put the cafe racer mirrors back to black, and then enjoy it until the value will pay for a restoration and a new tub to hang all of those parts on. And I suspect that day will come.

Again, cool car!!