Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911T on the road after 28 years...

Diegok, congrats, its a very nice 911, plus more importante your dream car has being fullfiled, hope you enjoy it as much as possible.

2 questions for you Diego, my curiosity

Where did you live in South america

How old are you

Both questions optional of course .

congrats once againg

un saludo
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Beautiful car Diego!! Inspiring process as well... adelante!!!

Diego...Nice car!!!

Sweet car and I empathize with you about the false starts and such in your journey to ownership! Looks to be well worth the wait!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thanks!

During my search I met a lot of people in the Early 911 world. While I was looking at a few 912, before realizing I should spend a bit more and get a flat-six 911, I met the guys at The Motoring Enthusiast. Although I didn't purchase their Slate Grey 912, I stayed in touch with them until they told me they found this car but it was going take a while to be completed (took them 5 months). They were really honest sellers and I felt comfortable that the work being done to the car was right and that they were taking the time to do it right. I drove them crazy over the course of the 5 months, asking for updates and following the process on the car while I was looking at other cars. I wanted to be the first to look at this particular car since it has a lot of the things I was looking for: amazing color, very original condition, no rust (or repairable), good documentation, great mechanics (which was WIP at the time), in my price range and the fact that it was a seller I trusted really sealed the deal. For the first 911, I wanted this car to be original and it didn't have to be over the top. I'll have time for a nice hot-rod in the future after I learn from my first 911!

The car was found in Saratoga and bought by a flipper from the last owner since the mid 70s. At the time, it seemed like the previous owner was trying to do some work on the transmission, but was never able to finish it so it stayed off the road since 1986. Hopefully I'll have a better report after I can break in the engine and have a valve adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hello, Diego . . .

Wonderful car. Solid + dry --- w/ minimum nonsense. I'm sure it's even more satisfying --- having looked + missed + then finally finding such a little 'sweetie.' I especially like that you've left everything in 'T' trim --- slim, sleek, subtle. Clean + stock cars seem even more rare, any more. And so much documentation, too. Lucky

Any more details --- about The Story? . . . how you found it + where + etc. What was it about this particular car that 'sealed the deal' for you? Also --- who did your paint + mechanical stuff + etc . . .

. . . and welcome aboard!
    Last edited by diegok; 10-07-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    1969 911T #3495
    Member #2793

San -- Thanks a lot! I'm originally from Argentina but moved to the US about 8 years ago, and then spent about 18 months in Uruguay for work during 2011-2012. I'm 29, but for some reason I love a lot of things that came before my time... I guess I have an old soul, or maybe just a much older, older brother that got me into early cars...
    1969 911T #3495
    Member #2793

Looks like a really smart buy. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by diegok View Post
    San -- Thanks a lot! I'm originally from Argentina but moved to the US about 8 years ago, and then spent about 18 months in Uruguay for work during 2011-2012. I'm 29, but for some reason I love a lot of things that came before my time... I guess I have an old soul, or maybe just a much older, older brother that got me into early cars...
    Diego, que bueno, my mother also from BA, wants to move to Uruguay, but, then the USA is the US, jeee. Its normal, these cars trap old and young, it did it to me when i was 10, jeee but my kids 25 n 23 loves them.

I have a good friend from Venezuela who is moving out there, works for Audi now. Will send you a pm.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

I'm starting to understand that nothing Early Porsche related is easy... but probably the reason why it is so rewarding... spent 5 hs at the DMV trying to keep my original California Black Plates on the car. I was supposed to be there for 20 min just for the VIN check (they had to create a new record for the car since it has been off the road for so long...). When I was checking out, they tell me: "You are all set, go to Window 10 to pick up your new plates and stickers"... that's when I knew I was going to be there for a while. They said that in order to keep the plates I had to prove that they were issued in 1969. Took the plates off the car, we couldn't find any stamp, and I did not want to start removing the stickers on the plate... however, it was the only way around it. So I proceed to remove the stickers from the right side (the last sticker on top was 1987). You can understand that removing almost two decades of stickers that have been on the plate for over 3 or 4 decades, without destroying them is a bit complicated... took me 45 minutes.

So I got all the way to the first one, but it read 1970, which makes sense for a 1969 car (see pic below).

Name:  n_image.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  79.5 KB

But this was not enough for the DMV. They said that they wanted to see a 1969 sticker. After checking and re-checking with supervisors, and causing an argument between employees, they told me they were not going to able to do it without a 1969 sticker. At that point the manager approached me and told I could buy a NOS 1969 sticker on eBay... I just couldn't cheat myself and I was determined to get it right... so I decided to do some research online until I found a picture of a plate with the 1970 sticker on the right, just as mine, but the 1969 sticker on the left (I know... should've checked before! my bad). I started scratching the left stickers (at that point I felt I was playing a California Lottery Scratcher ticket with the chance of winning a nice prize!) and I started seeing what looked like a 9! Jackpot!

Name:  N_image (1).jpg
Views: 330
Size:  85.5 KB

The manager looks at the plate. Says it is OK, but asked me to show the entire 1969 sticker... so 40 minutes later... I get to this point...

Name:  N_image (2).jpg
Views: 352
Size:  88.7 KB
    Name:  N_image (3).jpg
Views: 352
Size:  55.7 KB

After that, they gave me another number (a non-appointment number -- those in SF can understand how crazy the DMV is here... hrs and hrs of waiting). After waiting for another 1.15hs, they started processing the request to keep the Black Plates, got me a temporary permit until I get my stickers and it was Mission Accomplished! Went to the DMV at 9.15am and left at 2.30pm! But I got to keep the black plates and more importantly confirmed that they have been with the car since it first hit the road back in 1969...
    1969 911T #3495
    Member #2793

Love the story w/ DMV & all the rest! Congratulations! Very nice car!
    "The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others, the moment you are unafraid of the crowd you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion." - @thedailysuccess

'69 911T (in restoration to be Irish Grn)
    Other rides:
    2008 BMW 328i (wife's car)
    2003 Ford Expdtn Ed Bauer (my daily drvr)