Thread: First engine drop

First engine drop

Well, got around to dropping the engine for the first time this weekend. Went well, took about four hours with the speedometer cable being the only casualty, forgot to disconnect it and when the transmission dropped it stretched. Glad to see they aren't too pricy. I pulled the engine to clean it up and check the chain tensioners while it's out, I'll post about that in this thread shortly.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  65.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  107.1 KB
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

Well done Norm. It is always stressful first time, but in reality quite easy. I did the same recently. Made a comprehensive list of things to do, worked through that carefully, and an hour later, all done. Re-installation was really quick and 30 mins later the motor was running.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

One of the reasons for dropping the engine was the tensioners. I was pleasantly surprised to see this. I think these are the later style tensioners with the lock collars although I believe the collars are set too low. Can anyone comment on these and the ramps, wondering if these are the newer style ones.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  87.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  95.8 KB

Take a look at your blue safety collars. They look like they may be sitting on the tensioner, there should be some clearance between them and the tensioner, I forget how much. Maybe its the angle of the picture and there is some clearance ?
    Mike

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The clearance should be about .100", 2.5mm. But as the tensioners hammer those collars move. Your ramps need a complete update. Left one is rubber. And the idler chain sprockets look like the non bushed early style. It never ends, I would do ramps, idler arms, idler axles, sprockets and later tensioners to match the updated idler arms. Gled PS What year is the engine.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Hi, were you alone to drop the engine ?
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by brakekiller View Post
    Hi, were you alone to drop the engine ?
    Xavier
    Me and my 15 year old son, we did get two extra people to help us lift it on the stand though.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    The clearance should be about .100", 2.5mm. But as the tensioners hammer those collars move. Your ramps need a complete update. Left one is rubber. And the idler chain sprockets look like the non bushed early style. It never ends, I would do ramps, idler arms, idler axles, sprockets and later tensioners to match the updated idler arms. Gled PS What year is the engine.
    Gled, what's the difference between these and later tensioners, I thought these were 930 style. I do not want to go the hydraulic route as this engine will only see a few thousand miles per year. Engine is a 68 S