Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Smoke after engine rebuild on startup

Oil Smoke after engine rebuild on startup

Hey just want some advice. I had my engine rebuilt. New Piston, Cylinders and rings. Now when I start up, there is a ton of white smoke. Obviously oil in the cylinders. It does go away when things worm up. I am thinking my rings did not seal, or my valve guides are leaking. Any thoughts on what my issue can be. Any remedies??
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Did you perform the 20 minute at 3000 rpms break in at start up? What break in oil are you using?

Was not told to do that. I did not run the engine too hard. So I would have run it right about 300 with some higher, up to 4000 rpms. I also am not sure that I ran it for long trips, so 10 -15 mon trips are more common.

I also am not sure what type of oil is in there. I was told the shop that did the rebuild did the break in.
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

You should ask your shop these questions...

I used to have the same issue after my engine was rebuilt. Turns out the oil was over filled even though it showed the correct level on the stick. Once I replaced the stick with the correct for model year 1972 dip stick, my oil level is now correct and no more smoke on start up.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I am slowly closing in on completing my '67, and I too have been told to not run it in, but to drive it as soon as possible, up and down hills, with a load, without, etc. etc. to seat rings. Am also using a air-cooled specific ring seating 'paste'.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

But would about the cams Brian?

Some mechanics tend to over oil the pistons and cylinders during assembly which leaves so much oil on the walls that the rings don't seat during the first few minutes of operation. The pistons should be dry,,,then you put a quarter size spot of oil on the cylinder and spread it around,,,,that's all the oil that should be there! When the engine starts take it to 2,000 RPM or so for about 10 minutes. When I do a rebuild it doesn't even smoke on the first start-up. Then the best break-in is to go do an autocross! That loads the rings against the cylinder walls and lubricates the walls on deceleration when the strong vacuum pulls the oil up the walls. In lieu of an autocross go out on a empty road and alternately accelerate hard, then coast,,,,,,repeat for 20 minutes. The engine is now broken in, no break-in oil, no babying the engine! The cylinders MUST be honed properly for the rings to seat. If new pistons and cylinders were used it should not be smoking!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thats why you're Ed, Ed

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Thanks Ed, that's good info. A couple of questions if I may...No break in oil? What oil do you use? And would about the cams, which can go flat instantly without the proper oil and break in procedure. Don't tell me that I wasted all that money the Brad Penn break in oil I come from the old school V8 engine rebuilds and B Sedan 124 race motors thinking. This is the first time I have entered inside the 911 motor and still learning...Your thoughts?