Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: what is the biggest one that got away

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

Forgot all about this thread.

I was referring to selling my 300011 901.

I bought the car in 1988 for a song. (It was titled and being advertised as a derelict '67 911.) Being an opportunistic and idiotic twenty-something year old I sold it not long after and regretted it from the moment I said "It's a Deal" to a digger acting on behalf of Barnaby Brokaw. (I will NEVER forget that day. Deal was consummated at the counter of Hobo Joe's at 16th St/Camelback in Phoenix. I was seated at the end of the counter. Guy to my left was smoking and had very little hair on top of his head.)

Over a decade later I followed up with Barnaby to see if he would sell the car back to me. He said "Wish I could Frank but the car was stolen in 1995".

Fast forward to January 2014. I received a very strange email from some cat in Monaco (Some of you know him.) asking if I still owned 011 (My name still showed on the '64 Registry as owning it.) I asked why he wanted to know. He said "I now own it; at least pieces of it, including the VIN stamp." I was ready to go have a look but through the efforts of Erik K. quickly flushed out that he bought fraudulent docs and worthless sheet metal bits. However that got the wheels turning and I hatched a plan surmising the web may hold the key to solving the mystery.

I paid Barnaby a visit and over a 2 day period convinced him to sell back the title and rights to the car. It took a lump sum (Absolutely KA-RAZZY money compared to what I sold it for!) and a generous equity stake in the event the car was ever recovered. This was nothing more than a proverbial roll of the dice based solely on my intuition and God's mercy. What was most unbelievable is that my fantastic wife signed off on this ridiculous idea!

15 months after that the rest is Porsche history.

My wife and I truly do thank God that we got "a second bite of the apple".
    That's a very cool story!

(And yes, your wife must be fantastic letting you pull the trigger on that wild goose chase )
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Not a Porch but a Porcha guy I know (910, GS GT Speedster et al) didn't buy a 250 GTO for $3500 because it needed a dash cover. Yes it was 1967 but GTOs weren't built with a dash cover. I understand one sold this year in a private sale for $88 mil!

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    Not a Porch but a Porcha guy I know (910, GS GT Speedster et al) didn't buy a 250 GTO for $3500 because it needed a dash cover. Yes it was 1967 but GTOs weren't built with a dash cover. I understand one sold this year in a private sale for $88 mil!
    I didn't want to talk about "the one that got away" but only ones that I actually owned. The above post made me change my mind, though.
    Place: Monterey Historic Races
    Date: August 1982 (Porsche was the featured Marque and chose that event to introduce the 911SC Cabriolet)
    I was there with my Brother who was racing his Arnolt Bristol and our mutual friend that was racing his 906.
    Pitted next to us was a freshly restored (zero miles) 250GTO that I had a very small part in the restoration. It was for sale for the unheard of sum of $150,000.00 Way out of my league but then another fresh restoration showed up on a trailer and was for sale for a, very reasonable, sum of $58,000.00. It was a 904, which happens to be my all time favorite Porsche. My wife and I drooled all over it and talked about refinancing our house to come up with the money and increasing our monthly payment to $450.00 per month from $310.00. Just couldn't bring myself to take on that much debt. Oh well............................

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
    . . . Maybe we should start a new thread with stories like this one? Don't we all love stuff like this? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . Forgot all about this thread . . .

. . . = why I bümp

We Can Be Heroes

If anyone can find that time machine, or knows Cher....

Goes like Stink indeed.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

A purchase to which I have been circling and with which I returned to contaminate the mind of my father was with the purchase of the 2.7S. Remember that only the part of the roof was affected since the car had overturned (the owner died in the accident) and he had bought it, I took out the engine, the wheels and a little more and the rest ended up in the garbage ... This does not it's a purchase that escaped .. it's a purchase that went to the trash! In those years things were different I guess and there would be no interest in keeping that car for a long period. Today, agghgghghghhhdhdh would be another car more at home, maybe a piece of furniture who knows! If you have an interest, I'll see if I can get it because my father bought the other car!
    And about the big business ... My father tried other cars before the porsche. I try a lamborghini miura of which I have a photo (Classic cars tenerife is where it comes from / facebook group) I do not know if it was exactly this ... He told me he had some very large gas tubes and I leave it there ... pass to buy the porsche! I do not talk about the economic value, I do not see it as a great loss! But I do feel that my eyes stopped observing that form to observe that of the 911. I have no problem in it.
    Name:  11215186_1666228026989539_1748868435745775817_n.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  56.3 KB