Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the biggest one that got away

I posted this comment once in the past and got jumped on with "coulda-woulda-shoulda" comments, ( including by some of the people who responded above!), even though I wasn't even in the market for a 911 back in 1990. In any case, here's my previous post:

Happened upon a July 1990 edition of Hemmings here at the cottage that I would have bought at the news stand. This ad is representative of what was advertised for sale:

PORSCHE 1973 911S coupe, factory A/C, sunroof, pw, orig, rust/accident-free, runs excellent, thousands in receipts, $19,500 PH 415-591-xxx, or 344-xxxx, CA.

My former mechanic told me he and his father in law owned and drove this car in the 70ies, in about 1989 sold it for almost nothing.
    1972 911S 2.5l built/modified/raced by Kremer

Today, restored in Germany. high six digit value.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 02-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Augh. You want an old wound? I have two:

1. About 1976, I was visiting a Bay Area shop for a part, and saw a familiar shape under a tarp. Story was, he had hit a deer, parked the car and sold the engine. I could have it for $4000. But I wasn't into 356s, even '58 Carrera Speedsters(!)

2. About 1978, I tracked down a black/burgundy 916 to a shop in SF. Spoke with the owner and agreed on $13,500 for the car. But I could not get anyone to lend me the money based on the car's (then unknown) value.

Ever since then, I have bought anything remotely likely to cause later regret.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Early Speedster, rough condition, been raced. Engine had a hole in the top and a dent in the decklid where a piece of the rod hit it. Sitting in Dan Parkinson's car lot in Glendale, Ca. in early '66. $500.
    Bob B

I've missed a few items things.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

1978 Torino Italy, a Dino Ferrari for 3000$, same year a flamminia zagato for the same money. I only had 1500 to spend so ended up with a 62 356 coupe that I took to Baltimore and sold after driving it for the summer made some money and went back in the fall and bought a pristine Dino fiat that I sold in New Jersey the following summer. My recreation during vet school was buying and selling cars too bad my budget was a little low!!
    M.A.Spirito

Quote Originally Posted by SIMI BOB View Post
    Early Speedster, rough condition, been raced. Engine had a hole in the top and a dent in the decklid where a piece of the rod hit it. Sitting in Dan Parkinson's car lot in Glendale, Ca. in early '66. $500.
    Bob B
    I remember Dan Parkinson's lot. He was more of a SCCA/IMSA Datsun Z car racer. Speaking of Glendale, I passed on a 300SL Gullwing for $8500 at E & G Body Shop on San Fernando Rd in Glendale. Owner abondoned it and was a lein sale. I couldn't put the dough together.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    A 64 car last weekend. €53k.
    Yikes that's a fresh wound.

I had possession (which is "9/10ths of the law" as I recall ) of an RSH for about 3 months. Then it got away ....

Name:  aa DSCF0010.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  81.3 KB

I also recall one that didn't get away because someone called you before anyone else was awake on the West Coast. Made some coins on that one, eh?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111