Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage find in our own garage versuch swt

Garage find in our own garage versuch swt

Hi
    I have been researching a 1967swt and have found some very interesting information. I have gotten lots of help but I felt that it was time to post a thread and see if anyone else has some input. If you would like to see the story of how my father and I found this car you can find it in the thread (what’s your story). I have been in touch with the factory and they have opened a case to do some research, but I have found in other threads that they will only confirm what you know. So I have been on a quest to find as much info as possible on my own through research and a lot of help from this board, reading old threads that keep knocking and appearing. The build sheet is the part of the information that is really needed.
    The search started because as I dusted off the car and started looking, I started to see what I felt to be some significant anomalies, the car was registered in California as an S but it did not have S in the Vin. The Vin is #500100 it has many S features but there were also many missing, mostly missing were the cosmetic ones. The most interesting S feature was the engine. The engine is number 900054 which come to find out; it is the only known complete prototype to exist at this time. I have not pulled the engine to check the date code but the code on the oil sender is 4/66 which seems to point to the theory that these prototype engines may have been cast as needed and it adds credence to Dave’s theory that these engines 052,053,054 were probably not prototypes for the S engine but something else, Possibly the 68 cars? It is also type 901/02, this is the confirmed engine on the Kardex and the COA. One theory that I have come up with through my research is it may have been a prototype for the rally option that was offered on the 68 cars, as this thread progresses that will not sound so farfetched.
    The Transmission is the other part of the story that I think may be interesting, its number is not confirmed on the Kardex or the coa, the only information that I can find on the transmission is the number 11, in the location that the transmission number should be and an early date code of mid 1965. Through my research I have watched many videos, the one that keeps coming to mind when I think about this transmission Is the interview with Mr Elford. He is talking about trying to convince Porsche to race in rally’s, the part of the Interview that I found interesting was his fascination with the five Speed gearbox and the many different gear ratios that could have been possible. I know still way out there?
    The only option that is shown on the Kardex or the Coa is Kiebler Colombes tires, could have these been a slight off road tire with an aggressive tread, Has any one heard of these tires or seen them listed as an option?
    Now here is the part that makes this seem not so farfetched. The cars completion Date was 12/66 it was sent to the VERSUCH department until it was sold internally to the first owner on 9/15/67, Think (BMW) and prior career as a machinist. I have been trying to locate this individual either by e-mail or mail, If anyone could forward a correspondence it would be great. I think he might be able to answer many Questions? It may have been just another Car. I have found Family contacts with racing history, and one with current Soap box derby history, I think they probably have a great Manager!, this leads me to believe it is probably the right family, but I don’t think this is the appropriate way to contact. Can you imagine every nut job from all over the world bugging your family because they found out that they have one of your old cars? I don’t think that this car was raced; I have only found 1 picture of a targa racing in a rally. But possibly Pre-running or testing for rally?
    Some other questions that I have come up with is in the thread about the 69 Versuch car that Mike found in the UK, there was a list of Versuch cars, were these the only versuch cars? If so why have none of the other versuch cars from 67 appeared? Is there any location that there may be a body number not the vin hidden, in 69 it seems that the body number was put under the knee pad, but in prior years that was stamped with the vin. It also seems that there were instances that the vins were re-stamped; this could explain why none of the other 67s have shown up. It would not make any difference, any of the production videos that I have watched the craftsmanship was incredible; these cars would have gotten the same treatment.
    I am attaching pictures any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, as I work my way through this. Ideally I would like to come up with a large PDF file or the build sheet. Thanks for all the help, the knowledge on this board is incredible and I will be joining soon!
    Thanks Bret

Name:  car pictures 101.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  151.8 KBName:  car pictures 062.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  122.5 KBName:  car pictures 060.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  120.9 KBName:  car pictures 059.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  119.9 KBName:  car pictures 058.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  112.8 KB

is Kiebler Colombes tires
    I can't help you much but I think it's Kleber instead of Kieber. Kleber Colombes is the old name before it was shortened to just Kleber

You can also find it here

http://www.klebertyres.co.uk/KleberU...=8032005184737

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Hi Richard
    Thank you for the reply. I must have been hungry for a cookie. That link was great with the history of the tire so it is possible that they were for off road use and puncture resistant.
    Thanks Bret

Stories

All I can say, Bret . . . is WOW!

Try as we might, many of us, here on The Registry + in other car 'hobbies,' I'm sure . . . are caught in the 'spell' . . . of numbers. We all know about them, understand some of what they tell, have an idea of where to look for them, what they can mean, etc. And for many of us --- 'matching' is enough . . . and as far as we dare go

But you've gone further. I can only imagine what a thrill you must've felt --- seeing that engine number . . . and wondering . . . and then starting to ask around . . .

. . . and now look what's happened! You've come across another of Porsche's little oddities --- a Versuch car

And your Story . . . see post #36 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ur-story/page4

. . . tell me you don't feel lucky finding/buying the very same car that first started your passion for Porsches?

Or that the car now turns out to have an 'interesting' Story?

I'm sure that trying to find out more about your car will be a bit . . . vexing. And time + energy-consuming. But isn't your car, now, just that much more interesting? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? . . .

. . . where has that car been + gone? . . .

. . . only to wind up --- w/ you?

And people wonder how anyone can get so attached to a silly/smelly/old car

Well --- anyway . . . good luck w/ finding out more about your Porsche. You already have a lot to write about. And the best part is? . . .

. . . not only do you get to write The Story? . . .

. . . you get to drive it, too!

And please keep us posted?

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Bret,
    Glad to see you have started a thread about this car.

Do I understand correct that you have now established contact with the archives??

Please post as many pictures as possible of all details that could be of interest.

Good luck with this very interesting car

Best, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

By-the-Way . . .

. . . what's the lowest VIN for an 'S' Targa?

'. . . prototype motor . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

The Kardex is notable for its lack of information as much as for what it does detail. It is almost unheard of for a Kardex to be missing a transmission #; after all, it is hardly mobile without one. There are also no key codes listed; again this is highly unusual. There is the matter of the prototype engine which is one of a series of 901/02 engines; a series of engines indicates a series of cars to put them in. The Handler is noted as WE and the first owner as Versuch; neither of these is particularly unusual since we are beginning to find several prototypes. At the top is noted "v. versuch geliefert" which is new to me and I don't have a good translation for that yet.
    The tires are noted as "Kleber Colombes V10" where the V10 appears in a different box, but I believe applies to the tires; the tire info is too long for the regular box and appears to spill into the next box, and it does not seem to make sense any other way. This tire does not appear on any other Kardex, so it is most likely a tire chosen for a special application.
    The delivery date is about 7 weeks prior to the preceding VIN 500099; and I believe about 3 weeks or so before volume production began. This lends more weight to the prototype status, but it does make the VIN a little more unusual for appearing to be well into production.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    "v. versuch geliefert" which is new to me and I don't have a good translation for that yet.
    could be "von versuch geliefert" ie "delivered from versuch/testing".
    Could mean the engine came from the testing dept. and was installed later on a VIN well into production.
    Registry member No.773

1. Wagenbesitzer is Versuch, so that should mean the car was delivered there.

Bret, why don´t you just blank out the first owner after the factory and post the Kardex? It would be useful.
    You can reveal the name of the owner when you have done some more research and you feel it´s appropriate.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I used to own 500099S. Here is a picture of the Kardex if that would help anyone.
    Thanks,
    Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images