Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of Euro Cars

Yes Rick, euro cars are cool. No front bumperettes from the factory on mine. Really clean. Also the cool little aux light in the headlight. My car has Fiamm snail horns, loud and euroish. It also carries the big Italian license plate in the rear and the small in the front. Also I love the fact that the first owner chose it over a Dino. He called the Dino a slug. And that the car was driven with joie de vive all over Italy and Switzerland at a rapid velocity on ski trips. He told of watching the sun rise on the Adriatic side then driving across Italy to see the sun set on Costa Azzuro. His and his wife's favorite drive. Gotta love euro cars!!
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I've put a deposit down on a "Rust Free" Euro Spec 1972 911E. Wish me luck!
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

Interesting thread. I agree wRick re Euro signals, headlights, and lack of bumperettes. My car benefited from those as well.

As a Florida resident, interesting to read the post re salt research. It's amazing what happens even to highrise condos near the ocean. Hence my cars are in a garage, and I don't leave the door open when a strong Easterly blows. Sounds crazy but you can see the residue on cars afterwards.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

For reference . . . .

VIN = 9112200432
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Pro of a Euro car for 1968 is a S was not offered in the USA at that time.
    I have a 68S that was brought by a service member with the idea of taking it to the states and selling it, so it never had some of the cool Euro stuff since it was ordered new with the USA in mind.
    Tucson AZ.

Numbers . . .

. . . regarding US vs Euro production . . .

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    . . . still collecting numbers? If so I have 1446 USA car and 688 Euro delivered car. Both 72 S coupes . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Glad to see this topic come back. I have been thinking about selling my Italian '73S lately. My car is my third, no fourth 2.4S, and third euro version. I know I'll be stirring the pot, but here goes. I think that the euro/ROW cars are above the US cars in pecking order. Why? Because of the RS dna with the highly desirable RS components installed by the factory on ROW cars. Tank, front bracketed cooler, protection pan for tank etc. This along with all the other hallmarks of ROW cars gives a different category of S. Even though the performance is the same, the euro cars are a little lighter and better suited to cruising with the RS ancillaries. And remember these are FACTORY built. Anyone can decroate the tree, but if the factory did it... If given my choice of 2.4S cars, all else being equal, I would always take the euro version. They are just plain a little more exotic and less frumpy with warnings and buzzers and bumpers etc . Mine being a stripper is just a really clean and simple car with some cool stuff. Just the way I would have done it only the factory did. Just my two cents. Not for sale yet!!
    Last edited by steve shea; 12-07-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Nice to see this thread is still alive... I'm a couple of weeks away for getting my Euro spec then I'll be able to make some more constructive comparison.

Still Euro spec wins hands down on looks!
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

Fritz,

What sort of stuff is different on your car?

Thanks,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz A. Ficke View Post
    Pro of a Euro car for 1968 is a S was not offered in the USA at that time.
    I have a 68S that was brought by a service member with the idea of taking it to the states and selling it, so it never had some of the cool Euro stuff since it was ordered new with the USA in mind.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Scott,
    Besides the stuff mentioned in the COA,
    Suger scoop head lights
    MPH speedo
    and I believe it came with US turn signal lens ( they are so faded from the AZ sun I have know idea what they were by color)
    I am sure there is more but I do not know what to look for.
    So it obviously is a Euro car, but it was special ordered by an individual for US market.
    I believe they were a few of these enterprising service men who saw an opportunity to grey market import cars.
    I brought the car from the second owner who purchased it in 1970.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tucson AZ.