Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1973 911 rst

I just read the DDK thread and I am pretty sure that the info there means that the info I had about who I thought was an owner in the 1990's and the registration, and thus the possibility of this car being a London motor show car may be incorrect. By the sound of it the car is still on isle of Mann which rules out the name I had
    Last edited by HughH; 02-14-2014 at 02:16 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Name:  photo-6.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  155.5 KB

hi Hugh
    For what it's worth, 911&Porsche magazine, April 2003, page 82 states:
    "… and a RHD 1973 RS Touring in Gemini Blue (the ex-London motor-show car …)"
    and shows a photo of RLX 5L

(Then) owned by Brian Burrows
    (one of 4 of his RS' . including the Ferry and Piech (which i'm sure have been sold since), and a white/red !)
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

A wonderful story ... and it shows that apart from being enthusiatic about the cars, we have people in our community who are compassionate and generous enough to help out a fellow enthusiast in a time of need. It warms my heart.

A striking colour - and wonderful period rally pictures. Are they from the Irish rally book we discussed recently Hugh?

Justin

Justin
    Yes not all from that book but most of them especially the color ones

Paul
    Great thanks. That confirms what I suspected this morning that this was not the London show car. I had some records from long ago that the BB car was glacier blue but as what u posted shows it was Gemini blue.

while not trying to hijack this thread the picture, and words around the article posted by Paul about Brian Burrows's cars has me a bit confused

The article says the car is RHD and "special color" Gemini Blue. That is because if it was Gemini blue it would have been a special order as the metallic paints were not offered on RS's as they could not guarantee a matching color between the metal and plastic parts - in particular the tail.
    As far as I know (and the RS book also shows) there was only one special color RHD RS made. It was Olympic blue for Alan Hamilton and came to Australia and is still here (but in GP white and blue the last time I heard).

All of the other 14 special color cars were LHD.
    Of those 2 were M491 cars - the Martini R8 in VW silver and Penske Daytona R3 car in their blue, 2 were M471 lightweights (one apple green and the other Turquoise) and the remaining 10 were RS0013 in blue violet metallic that has featured a number of times on this board and did not have any "plastic" parts, Ravenna green (2 cars), signal green, aga blue, orient yellow (a Fiat color), metallic fish silver white for Louise Piech, silver green metallic (Ferry's car), special Glassurit red (Peter Porsche), and RAL 8014 Brown.

no sign of the Gemini?? can any of the UK guys add anything to this mystery (to me at least)
    Last edited by HughH; 02-14-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hello all... I'm not a contributor over here, but lurk from time to time!

Mike nudged me towards this great thread and it's good to see so many period pics of James' Dads' RS, thanks Hugh! I've nothing to add but happy to say that James' folks live close by and we're in touch about having some fun in the RS. Will let you know how we get on and post some pics. Weather over here is shocking right now and half of southern England is underwater, roll on Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    . . . not a contributor . . . but lurk from time to time!

. . . nothing to add but happy to say that James' folks live close by and we're in touch about having some fun in the RS. Will let you know how we get on and post some pics . . .

Any updates? . . .

. . . pics, especially

We Can Be Heroes

Hi guys.
    Sorry I haven’t been on for a long time since my father passed away 2 years ago not long after his amazing day in Mitch rs.
    Just hope he enjoyed the memories.
    I am selling a very rare item if any collectors are interested?
    If not can you recommend a good place to sell?
    Best go on the correct thread sorry.

Hi James

Good to hear your late father had a lovely day with Mitch. It was a credit to him and to you for making that special day happen and give your dad a memory which hopefully reminded him of days gone by and put a smile on his face. I’m sure you still miss him especially at this time of year.

We would all be interested in any RS rare items but it would seem appropriate to me to offer whatever it is to Mitch first before offering it on the open market but of course it’s up to you.

All the best

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by pgxif View Post
    Name:  photo-6.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  155.5 KB

hi Hugh
    For what it's worth, 911&Porsche magazine, April 2003, page 82 states:
    "… and a RHD 1973 RS Touring in Gemini Blue (the ex-London motor-show car …)"
    and shows a photo of RLX 5L

(Then) owned by Brian Burrows
    (one of 4 of his RS' . including the Ferry and Piech (which i'm sure have been sold since), and a white/red !)
    The ex-Ferry RS he owns/owned is a well known by exception metallic without rear spoiler. The internal RS ordering procedure that came to me from the dealer who ordered my RS new specifically excludes metallic! Not just the concerns over the quality of finish for the particular metallic paint was excluded for cars that would be weighted and needed to be certified under 900kg as it is heavier. Paint type itself? Laquer over base if required extra? Ferry’s special one of a very few exceptions made that expect Hugh can list.

The collector has (had?) four at time.

Reread the authors comment in brackets. Note the and (the ex-London motor-show car, and one of only a few RS painted a metallic colour by the factory)

Maybe slightly ambiguous wording but pretty sure the author’s intention was to say the white red Sport he owned was the London motor show car. With that collecton hardly any need to over egg the RHD touring colour scheme that I can only assume was painted a metallic Gemini blue sometime in its life — not Gemini blue leaving the factory that way.

So after catching-up very late to this thread I suggest there is a different reading of the author’s comment in brackets — the white and red Sport is one that was at London motor show October 1972? Not the one now blue! Still don’t know what chassis that white one is but the most (only ?) plausible explanation. especially if it’s LHD it could fit chronology.

After all the earliest RHD RS were vin 0061 and 0065 and those were only built November 1972 — so after the Earl’s Court motor show ended. Even allowing for Porsche not building strictly Vin sequence the earliest RHD RS post date that show which ran mid to end October 1972. The following years british Earls act show was in October 73 the so called long-hoods we’re old news when the G series facelift became story so I doubt an importer would show prior year car on that following year’s stand. So I’d rule out the article meant the blue car was at the next October 73 show.

One of the first two RHD vin is a well known press demo also briefly used ex Nick Faure race winner at Croft circuit in March 73 then long term one family owned. It’s a white blue EG 16 car. The first dozen from the first series quota RHD RS only arrived at PCGB /AFN January 1973 — this is documented in period reports.
    My first series RHD RS arrived that same month according to its factory and importer papers. So could be no RHD at london motor show 72 — blue metallic or other hue is my conclusion. Doesn’t fit build chronology!

I have posted this several times before but there were very few RHD RS on the first 500 series quota.Name:  EE41B480-F605-4F00-B001-358F1CA248F2.jpeg
Views: 189
Size:  86.0 KB The RS were only launched so only could’ve been ordered from 5 October at Paris and on mid October any left at Earls Court. The second series only announced at that time!

As a long term a owner of one of the roughly 40 RHD first series 911.744 EG C16 with conversion to M472 examples that by definition as notes by journalist all had lighter weight thin gauge steel in a dozen places all over chassis, thinner glass, cast cross member , less shutz etc etc it is important that in all that gets written details are correct. Only about 15 RHD RS were built in calendar 72 none were Sport out of the 319 the factory completed in left before they year end.

Ambiguously phrased and use of brackets to group things perhaps leads innocently being misunderstood — things can stick to a RS. Mistaken identity but chronologically not possible so lkkenbusters that my some loved as a kid — can we say this myth is “busted” before it gets immovably rooted like so many other misunderstanding about RS models ? Heck some people call the later M471 Sports “Lightweights” but my original October price list the first with RS only offered Sport and Touring; no such thing as “lightweight” as they all were at they time as noted by the journalist!

Don’t know which chassis no his M471 Sport is but that’s the only one that could logically fit the chronology of being existing in mid October 1972 on time for the London motor-show. We can exclude the distinctive Ferry, Piech family specials and any RHD touring form Earl’s Court’s stand. Details matter ! I’m always happy to be corrected by experts with facts as I sometime work from fallible memory posting such stuff — just adding my tuppence worth on an old thread!

I’d love to see any images or videos showing the October 72 stand. Not sure I’ve ever seen Earls Ct 72 stand image in over thirty years of continuously owning one of these early RHD cars. I’ve posted picture of the 911 of prior year stand elsewhere. Also posted odd b&w footage of Paris night before launch. Surely somone must’ve snapped Porsche (actually still listed as AFN not PCGB in my 1972 Earls Ct show programme )

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-24-2023 at 08:48 AM.