Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 901 short shift kit

I have driven Reza's 901 with the factory 901 short shift kit and loved it. I don't want to have anything that protrudes elephantinely from the floor nor do I want an aftermarket kinda sorta thing, I would like the hens teeth brand factory item or one exactly like it made by an anal retentive vintage porsche parts making yodaesque figure who cares more then would be considered normal in this 21st century. You know who you are.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    To restore the factory shifting effort with short shifters, add an extension onto the shift lever. We have 3" extensions for this purpose.

We also have a 5.5" lever extension for those using the Weltmeister short shifter (shifts like a factory shifter).
    This is what I said and did. Those of you who have had issue with the SS Kit in the past (Marco and Harvey) will take note that by lengthening the shift length to the pivot you are putting travel back into the shifter and slowing it down again while at the same time removing slop, which is what I think most people with a 901 are really after as opposed to actually shortening the shift action.

I could be totally wrong but that was the fix I was after.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    There was no factory short shift kit for the 901 gearbox...just crappy aftermarket synchro crushers.
    I am at times incredibly dense and just saw this note. Reza told me that you guys put a super rare factory short shift kit in his light green swb with the 1970S engine in it. Others here have commented on how rare this piece was, but above you say it doesn't exist, that would indeed make it rare.

JohnT on this forum 5/20/2012
    "901 factory short shifters are like hen's teeth. I've been looking off and on for 10 years and have never seen one."

And I have heard others say the same thing and also that only the factory short shifter is a appropriate approach. Since I know the factory short shift kit for the 915 is easily available, what are people going on about?
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I am at times incredibly dense and just saw this note. Reza told me that you guys put a super rare factory short shift kit in his light green swb with the 1970S engine in it. Others here have commented on how rare this piece was, but above you say it doesn't exist, that would indeed make it rare.
    I'm not sure, Yale.

I will stick to my guns and maintain that there was no such thing as a factory 901 short shift. There have been many versions of aftermarket short shift kits - many were probably sold through the dealer network - but I don't believe any were built by Porsche for the dogleg boxes. There are long-handle short shift kits and there are short handle kits but, to my knowledge, they were all aftermarket. It's been my observation that the long-handle kits were less aggressive than the short-handle kits, but they were still too aggressive for the 901 box.

Someone please prove me wrong.

FWIW, it's my strongly worded personal opinion that 901 gearboxes should not have short shifters as I believe it removes that special "feel" that's needed to make a 901 work properly. I've not met one that I would want to put in my own car.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks Marco. Since I live in a city and drive around quite a bit, I have a continuing problem with first, (which get used a lot more then if one were not having to contend with lots of city driving). So while I know short shift kits are not what the cool and knowledgeable kids are into , I thought I would give this idea a try and further my own understanding. But i want to do it in the most gentle and unobtrusive way possible.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

My car has what I thought was a factory short shift. It is definitely not a Weltmeister. The shift lever is the normal 901 length but the part below the pivot is longer. There is a small alloy block that spaces the front shift rod bushing bracket lower into the tunnel. The shifter housing is not raised with a spacer like the Weltmeister.

The reduction in throw is significantly less than the Welmeister.

Pic of the lever:
    Name:  901ss.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  76.7 KB
    Brian Boss
    71 914-6 2.2E conversion
    71 911T mostly S spec____________
    Early S Member # 2758___________

Review the video in the link below to increase the service life of a Porsche gearbox. I think it's a basic skill of Porsche ownership, but knowing the basic mechanics is helpful. If the PO of your car mastered this, you wouldn't complain as much about difficulty downshifting into 2nd and 1st gears.

This is an update from a previous lengthier version:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z9HVkGSa694" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are many YouTube videos that attempt to demonstrating the correct practice of double-clutching. However, many are incorrect or drive like Ayrton Senna in qualifying mode while demonstrating it. If you can play back video in slow-mo, look for vintage WRC videos with Walter Rorhl in his factory Audi Quattro.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by bboss View Post
    My car has what I thought was a factory short shift. It is definitely not a Weltmeister. The shift lever is the normal 901 length but the part below the pivot is longer. There is a small alloy block that spaces the front shift rod bushing bracket lower into the tunnel. The shifter housing is not raised with a spacer like the Weltmeister.

The reduction in throw is significantly less than the Welmeister.

Pic of the lever:
    Name:  901ss.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  76.7 KB
    The setup you describe is the same strategy used by Target (now defunct), in their 915 short shifters (might be the same supplier). The spacer block under the housing relocates the horizontal axis of the shift tube the same distance as the longer pivot arm of their SS lever.

Sherwood

I don't know what you guys are on about. I don't have any complaints about slop, though not having gates means I have crunched some dog teeth trying to go 5th to neutral to second (at an appropriate road speed) when coasting to a stop from highway speed. Too easy to get reverse in that situation. But that is when I get lazy. If I am concentrating on driving a nice piece of road the stock shifter is fine for me. At least I think it is stock.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I can see double clutching being necessary on a Mack truck or a race box with no synchros-- in practical terms our synchronized boxes are going to be slower- so the extra time spent double clutching is probably a push, and even with a synchro, in a race situation it's not going into gear in any kind of reasonable time unless you have matched speeds, no matter how hard you pull the lever. The slider still slides, the brake band still brakes, the synchro still expands and contracts when the gear clicks home-- all that mass slows everything down.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen