Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 901 short shift kit

I'll cast my lot with Marco and Harvey, I've never seen any 901 short shifter that I liked or thought was worth the expense. I think what gets some people going is that the shift linkage in their car was not properly set up, therefore anything that is done seems to make it feel better. Also the proper way to downshift is to double clutch and go back down through each gear, no short cutting from 5th to 2nd. Having cut my teeth on old VW's gives one an inate ability to know how to find the gear!! I think if you're getting paid big bucks to win races then shaving a nano second from the shift time is fine. For the rest of us mortals does it really matter. I remind students when I'm instructing that professional teams rebuild gearboxes after each race. If you're ready to do that then go ahead and slam those gears. The reason the factory 915 short shift feels right is that they were clever enough to to NOT shorten the side side to side distance. I once asked Vic Elford if Porsche did any of these tricks on his rally cars, he said not to his knowledge. If it was good enough for Vic its good enough for me!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I can see double clutching being necessary on a Mack truck or a race box with no synchros-- in practical terms our synchronized boxes are going to be slower- so the extra time spent double clutching is probably a push, and even with a synchro, in a race situation it's not going into gear in any kind of reasonable time unless you have matched speeds, no matter how hard you pull the lever. The slider still slides, the brake band still brakes, the synchro still expands and contracts when the gear clicks home-- all that mass slows everything down.
    It's not a matter of speed - not sure where you got that idea since that aspect of shifting wasn't discussed or even addressed in the video. It's a matter of rev matching driveshaft components during downshifts in order to reduce synchronizer wear, and for the less initiated, to reduce upsetting the vehicle during braking/cornering maneuvers at speed.

Here's a question. If you can easily single clutch-downshift to first gear at 10-15mph, your gearbox is in good condition. If it's difficult to perform that operation and/or you have to fiddle with the clutch pedal and shift to neutral, Rev. or another gear when the car is at a standstill in order to select 1st, your synchro is worn or wearing to the point of a no-op condition. Many owners think Porsche gearboxes were designed to be balky and skip that routine and instead start from a standing start in 2nd gear - quite sufficient for cruising. There are, afterall, four more synchros remaining in various states of condition. As in most user-operations of things mechanical, YMMV. Carry on.

Sherwood

I have a JWest Rennshift kit with Wevo coupling on my 901 box. It makes for the sweetest shifting on all my cars. Don't rush the synchros and you will be rewarded with a precise and lovely shift action!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Might anybody know which short shift this is?
    As used in the 2.0L cup,it has a longer lever,spacer used at the base.
    I like the stock visual of this setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515888[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey,
    personally I can recommend a short shift from a German company. They do conversion of 901 gearboxes into beetle and some special parts. It works really nice, much better than any othersolution before with a 901 gearbox. “Design wise” it’s not a really beauty….

https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/porsch...th-901-gearbox

Name:  projekte-porsche-schalthebel-4.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  14.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dwerkz View Post
    Might anybody know which short shift this is?
    As used in the 2.0L cup,it has a longer lever,spacer used at the base.
    I like the stock visual of this setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515888[/ATTACH
    It's from Tuthill Porsche in Oxfordshire in England. The kit consists of a billet plate and lengthened pivot ball. You could choose whatever lever you want (within reason). I have it fitted to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Schläfer View Post
    It's from Tuthill Porsche in Oxfordshire in England. The kit consists of a billet plate and lengthened pivot ball. You could choose whatever lever you want (within reason). I have it fitted to my car.
    I have created a similar shifter long ago using the currently available short shift kit that utilizes a 964 shift lever. You need to have the overall lever lengthened above the shift plate so that it falls to hand properly. That appears to be what Tuthill has done and I can attest to the fact that it is absolutely sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Schläfer View Post
    Great,thx for the info.
    Are you satisfied whit it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwerkz View Post
    Great,thx for the info.
    Are you satisfied whit it?
    I really like it. It's well engineered and because it's a complete base, it's fully supported and very solid. Everything fits, even the heater control. It's helpful to get 2nd and 4th if you have long legs. Here's a couple of shots of mine when I fitted it up. You can see the extended pivot ball on the first shot too.

Very nice Schläfer. Can you share a picture of the rest of the lever? How does it attach to the lower pivot?