Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to authenticate a '74 us ducktail

How to authenticate a '74 us ducktail

Are there any stampings or markings on a factory '74 ducktail?
    Any info and/or advise on what to look for would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Frank

I'm interested in this subject as well. I'm on the hunt for an original '74 ducktail and I've read conflicting info on what exactly the differences are.

I've never seen a non-factory ducktail have the curved latch support that a real one does. That and the coarse texture on the bottom of the 'glass are reliable indicators.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

what about the steel frame
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    what about the steel frame
    Yes, should have mentioned - I believe they all have steel frames (some '73s had aluminum frames). It's the frame that has the latch mount and curved latch support. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Original tails will have a additional, rectangular piece of sheet metal spot welded on the inside of the frame where the sheet metal screws would go for a pair of the rubber tie downs. The '74 Carrera tails should have these also even though most cars would have the conventional center latch.

I have seen the '74 tails with 2 separate metal pieces screwed over the empty license plate light openings. The opening in the fiberglass, where the grille sits is also a different shape. I can't remember which one is commonly on '73 tails and which one is later. Before the crash, years ago we had this all sorted out but those photos are gone now unfortunately.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    another thing to look for is the recess for the engine grill. 73 has a squared off perimeter, where the 74 is tapered. Gled

Adding to what Brian said, a pic showing the outside of the frame and associated tie-down screw holes (sheet metal would be inside behind these holes). Second pic shows the rectangular piece of sheet metal that would be inside the frame. I believe these holes would be epoxied on MY74 ducktails (it was on mine) but the rectangular piece is on the inside nevertheless. Photo credit to Freddie Hernandez who is currently redoing my ducktail. I'm no expert but I'm not sure that the repros have these 2 rectangular pieces spot welded in there so perhaps this is one way to further legitimize a ducktail besides looking at some of the other features mentioned.

Marco
    Name:  IMG_7492.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  72.0 KBName:  IMG_6705.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  98.4 KB
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Anyone with some pics of the fiberglass on the inside?
    Great comments and great info just would like to see a few more pics.
    Thanks,

This is a 1974 Carrera engine lid, with steel inner frame. Shows distance from drain hole to the spot welds and holes for the rubber tie down. Not much of the inner fiberglass is showing but you can get an idea. This lid also has the sheet metal block off plates screwed in the lower frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry