Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB Headliners

SWB Headliners

I posted the question over on the LWB headliner thread asking who sells the best SWB headliner. It was answered that they are sold be several vendors and we were told they are good copies. That being said, I requested samples from Sierra Madre Collection and GAHH Automotive. I guess I should also ask for samples from Stoddard. Not knowing what the correct SWB headliner should look like I have no idea what is correct and good. Clearly from the pictures I am posting, none of the samples I receive are consistent with one another. They in fact vary quite a bit. Can those who are in the know please help those of us that do not know. What is correct and which one to buy? I photographed the samples in an outdoor natural lighting environment.

First up, Sierra Madre Collection. Comments: forget the colors for a second, but they are all thee different in their own way. Small holes, larger holes, different spacing, different texture, and then there is the colors. Only interested in Ivory or similar, but I posted black in case someone was interested. The Ivory has really tiny holes. Maybe it is correct, again, I don't know what I am looking for.

Name:  SMC outdoors.JPG
Views: 1012
Size:  29.0 KB

Next up, GAHH Automotive. Comments: These two have similar hole spacing, but the ivory is tiny holes vs. the Gray has much larger hole punches. The grain on the Gray is much more pronounced than the Ivory. I know I have read that there may have been two colors offered by Porsche, Ivory and Grey. To my untrained eye, the Ivory sold by GAHH looks like it might be the nicest of the lot, but again, I have nothing to go on.

Name:  GAHH Automotive (1).JPG
Views: 1007
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  GAHH Automotive (2).JPG
Views: 993
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  GAHH Automotive.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  34.3 KB

I also stretched all the materials and they all stretch more one way vs. the other. I think this is called bias or something, but really don't care to learn too much about this if you get my drift. When stretching though, the holes do open up more, but I am not sure how much the material will be stretched and or in which direction.

Last pic is the SMC samples inside.

Name:  SMC head liner indoors.JPG
Views: 976
Size:  40.4 KB
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Here are a couple of pics comparing the sample from Sierra Madre Collection to that of GAHH Automotive. Clearly they are miles apart from one another. The small sample on top is Ivory from SMC and the background piece is from GAHH Automotive.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    That's a pretty noticeable difference!

Were your samples from Sierra Madre of the"domestic" vinyl, or instead of "German" vinyl? It costs $35 extra for the German vinyl material and I just wondered if there was an appreciable difference.

I thought Grey was the only original color for SWB cars according to Dr. Johnson's book?
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Dan Hansen from Denmark just replaced his headliner and posted photos on the 912BBS. His headliner looks beautiful. You should talk to Dan.

Bryan

Wasn't '68 a one year specific headliner? I think it had electronic/heated welts... Might have only been the L and S?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Some 68's had a heavily grained material that has been called Elephant hide like the door panels and dash. My 68 912 did not have it but my buddies 68 911 L did have it. I am more interested in the standard headliners, not The E hide. Don't want to side track this thread with that subject.
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

PM me your mailing info and Ill send a piece of original material. My take is you want grey with a square hole pattern and light texture. I think GAHH is probably closest to original but I havent installed one. My camera is not working so I cant show a photo at this time.
    Last edited by 66S; 02-19-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    PM me your mailing info and Ill send a piece of original material. My take is you want grey with a square hole pattern and light texture. I think GAHH is probably closest to original but I havent installed one.
    Would it be possible to see a close up picture of the original material you have??

By coincidence I cleaned the old rear seats from my 67S today and noticed they seem to have used headliner material around the bottom. Not the best sample because of glue etc, but at least not exposed to sunlight

Name:  67S rear seats_1.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  67S rear seats_2.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  129.8 KB

Thanks, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

My '66 rear seats have the same thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefer View Post
    By coincidence I cleaned the old rear seats from my 67S today and noticed they seem to have used headliner material around the bottom. Not the best sample because of glue etc, but at least not exposed to sunlight.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

GAHH is the industry standard for interior materials, has been for 25+ years.

Most installers and suppliers use domestic products from Veteran.

If places are saying they're using leather you need to make sure it's German, not domestic. The same goes for vinyl products as there is a marked difference (illustrated above in the photos).

I've learned most of what I know about Porsche upholstery from my upholsterers, Levon Baloian and, now, his son George. Levon was the lead installer at GAHH back in the early 80s and is responsible for creating most of the patterns that they use to this day. George grew up working with his father and, since Levon's untimely passing 5-6 years ago, he has taken over the family business. George and Levon have been the only people doing interiors for my shop for decades.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687