Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Through the horn grill fog lights - complete repro kit

Through the horn grill fog lights - complete repro kit

So, I did a forum search and saw threads but not a list of where to buy a complete repro kit for "through the horn grill fog lights," which we all know are cool. My 1971 911T below the bumper fog lights keep getting crushed by sloping driveways parking blocks etc.

As near as I can tell the complete kit for through the horn fog lights is:

1. Horn grills with the hole: $125 each

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...mber=SYC-HGSCR

2. Mounting bracket - way over priced: $116 for the set. Straight up extortion.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2537%2533%2529

Hello 500 fog lights: $85. These seem period correct enough but would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...-500-fog-lamp/

Might need a relay, colored protective film or plastic covers.

So, it's like $450 all in. That's cheap and solid.

Thoughts?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Those are likely too large. They should be about 120 mm in
    Diameter.
    M.A.Spirito

Diameter is too large and the mounting is not correct. TTG lights need the mounting low on the rear of the housing but not at the bottom of the housing. Best starting point for a "near" light is the round 914 driving lights. Rear housing is the same (although painted), bezel is thicker and lens is 180 degrees out. But you can make them work.

Also: you're right about the bracket price. Check this: http://www.sierramadrecollection.com..._detail&p=7465
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Thanks very much! So, are those 914 driving lights on your car?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Diameter is too large and the mounting is not correct. TTG lights need the mounting low on the rear of the housing but not at the bottom of the housing. Best starting point for a "near" light is the round 914 driving lights. Rear housing is the same (although painted), bezel is thicker and lens is 180 degrees out. But you can make them work.
    I don't quite understand this statement.

The 914 lights are identical to the 911 lights in either fog or driving versions, ROW or US. The only difference is a black painted case versus a chrome case.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

A complete correct repro kit is available in Germany:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-F...item257a47252d
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

anyone who supplies factory parts can get the factory brackets for +/- $30, I bought some from autoatlanta.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

OK, so that repro kit from Germany is about $625 + shipping. $$$$
    Bob B

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I don't quite understand this statement.

The 914 lights are identical to the 911 lights in either fog or driving versions, ROW or US. The only difference is a black painted case versus a chrome case.
    Yeah, I just checked the partly-converted set I have and they are oriented correctly. When I first made the conversion 8 years ago or so, I bought a set that had been mounted upside down. To orient them correctly, I had to snip a small tab on the bezel.

BTW, the bezel is the key difference between the 914 and the 911 lights. The 914 lights have a thicker bezel and smaller lens area. The 911 lights are 118mm lens diameter. The 914 lights more like 115mm. (TN4) Close enough to pass...
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

This is a set of 914 lights in the middle of the conversion process. You need to start with lights that are not too badly rusted (quite a challenge) and drill out the mount. Plate and rivet the mount back in and reassemble. Chances are, the lenses will need replacing as they tend to be pretty chipped (like the one shown).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com