Thread: SWB Competition Set-up Help

SWB Competition Set-up Help

Hi All

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a site/resource that may help me set up a 68 car to be used for track? It's a historic class and the car cannot be modified too far from how the factory did it in the day (I have read the competition parts list though).

Basically looking for ideas on suspension set up and geometry, TB sizes, sway sizes, and damper settings. The car is nowhere near complete yet, but I've learned that now is a good time to ask about this stuff before I go too far

Cheers
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi John,

If you want to go period correct for '68:

- Sway bar (anti roll bar) 15mm front and rear
    - Red adjustable Konis front and rear (if you need Koni adjustment settings for different purposes, let me know)
    - Simple strut brace (2 points, not triangulated)
    - Lowering the car (with one driver & all fluids, including fuel you must be able to clear a wooden box measuring 80cm x 80cm x 10cm = 31.5" x 31.5" x 4"). This rule was per International Automobile Sport Regulations.
    - If you need degrees for radius arms, toe-in etc. let me know. Porsche specified different set-ups depending on race track.
    - Track: Using a 6" rim front track was 1379mm (54.25"). Rear track was 1351mm (53.25"). You're allowed 7mm spacer front and rear.
    Using a 7" rim in the back you can have a track of 1365mm (53.75")
    - Roll bar (4 points only in the back - no full cage)
    - Brakes: Stock. Ferodo pads for solid discs. Textar for ventilated discs.
    - Rims: You're allowed 6" all around or 6" in the front and 7" in the rear. You can also run 5.5" all around but you CAN'T run 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear (or 7" in the rear). This was according to Appendix J.
    - Weight: 974kg (2147 lbs) for 911, 911L and 911S. 923kg (2035 lbs) for 911T.

As you can see, there weren't a whole lot of hardware changes. Basically you have an S set-up that was mildly modified / adjusted for racing purposes.

All the above info is period correct (your local racing association may have different rules). There are faster ways around a race track but not more period correct ways.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

Hi Nick

Thanks heaps for that explanation. My car is a 68L so it has the ventilated brake discs. The series over here requires the cars to be very close to factory specs - it's really a period correct 'production sportscar' category (to 1969); but I can build the engine to S spec. I'm restricted to 6" wheel only and 60% profile, I can use the spacers and R rubber is permitted; however I cannot use a strut-brace. The car gets gets the mandatory full 6pt cage as required over here, so will be a bit top heavy compared to original.

Suspension is 'free' within reason (no remote canisters) but my budget means I'll be keeping essentially what I have. The car has its original konis which need to be rebuilt, and I have the 15mm F/R sways. I can replace torsion bars, but I'm not familiar with the sizes relative to the SWB radius arms and their shorter moment. I'm thinking 26mm?

I'd certainly be pleased to get any alignment specs you have for various tracks - I'd try and determine a "mid-point" and set up from there. Any info on how to set the konis up would be good too.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga