Thread: race cams for 2.0 MFI

race cams for 2.0 MFI

I dragged some cams out that I have had for years and looked to try to ID the application. They are Elgin 304-286 w/ 5mm lift at overlap and when I look at the Elgin website and cam spreadsheet...it appears that they are a very aggressive cam. Interestingly, they have the MFI pulley lobe on the left side cam. Anybody know what the application might have been? Originally I thought these might have been for a 67 S race engine, but not with the MFI lobe. I also picked up with the cams some pretty aggressive heads that are single plugged, but the dome of each head has been filled in and machined. I guess a different way to get aggressive compression than pushing the dome on the piston head and cutting deeper valve pockets. I'd appreciate thoughts on what this package might have been used for on a 2.0?
    I can add pics if necessary.

Speedo
    Last edited by speedo; 03-20-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    registry# 1283

Surprised that no experts weighed in here. I have never seen that aggressive a cam used on such small displacement.

Thought somebody might comment...wink, wink

Speedo
    registry# 1283

let's see some pics, just for fun.

I'm no expert, but many later cam cores can be used on the 2.0 by cutting off the MFI drive lobe. That's what the 2.0 guys do when installing E cams.

pics...

Ok, here are some...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I'm no expert, but many later cam cores can be used on the 2.0 by cutting off the MFI drive lobe. That's what the 2.0 guys do when installing E cams.
    I am aware of that and have run across a number of cams that have been de-MFI'd. These are kind of the opposite...they retain the MFI lobe and while I have seen cars run carbs on their MFI cams (with the lobe freewheeling on the left front side of the engine), I think this was used with an early 2.0 MFI induction. I guess I should look at Anderson's book. Maybe there was a wild 2.0 engine that the factory built that someone was trying to emulate?
    registry# 1283

Given the inordinate number of responses...

I put another call into Dema and got him...nice to get the boss on the phone
    He helped me ID the cams. Sort of a Mod S... plus. Not so good for a small displacement. He recommended a 2.7-2.8 engine. Told me the lift was .476 I and .450 E. I have a 2.7 on the stand that is supposedly built to RS specs, but was running webers in my 914-6. I had thought it would be fun to replace the webers with MFI. These cams give me an excuse to do that, although I am curious what cams (and other hardware) are in the engine now. So I guess I need to hang onto an S induction if I am going down that path.
    Thanks everybody...both of you

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Sorry for the delay Speedo.......

The lift stats you gave on your Elgin are identical to my WebCam 120/104 (Mod S) regrinds I have in my 2.7 RS rebuild...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter