Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop-out 1/4 panel window seal help needed

Pop-out 1/4 panel window seal help needed

Hello, before asking for help I have searched the tech forums for info on installing new 1/4 panel vent glass seals.
    Can anyone please give me some direction, is there an easy way to do this?
    Any special tools needed?
    Thanks. Peter

Peter, if you are referring to the rear pop out windows, I have a suggestion that should make the job really easy. I soaked the seal in hot water for about 10 minutes to get it pliable. Then apply a little hand soap for lubricity and start working the seal into place. Once you have it started, work the seal down the length of the window using a paint can opener to assist. These are the lid opening tools the hardware store gives you when buying gallons of paint. It has an L shaped tip that is perfect for working the seal into the channel. Once I got the hang of it, took me only 20 minutes per window.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Hi Scott, thanks so much for the tip! I appreciate the response. I was trying to do it dry and room temp. Not a chance that's gonna work, it won't seat and pops right back out. The water is heating now.
    I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    Finally some reassembly!

Believe it or not, I use a plastic mallet to tap it into place also. Oh, and there are plastic pry tools available that work really well and less chance of scratching anything...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Thanks for the help, guys, the first one is pretty much "in".
    Only complication thus far is getting the rubber to stay in the groove by the latch area. It fits in but partially slips out with any movement.
    suggestions?

I ended up using Dawn dish washing soap, diluted. It helps with the sliding in and then when washed, is removed.

BTW- undiluted Dawn DW soap is the only thing I found to slide the outside rubber window scrapers into the chrome pieces at the top of the doors.

Remember- I never use petroleum products on rubber. It quickly degrades and breaks it down.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Hi, yes the dish soap works great.
    But I still can't get the darn seal to stay in the groove in the latch area and the rear curved area where the window meets the "C" pillar.
    If there is any movement it slips right back out.

I won't let dish soap near my rubber. I use 303.

Two things: first, the aftermarket seals can be very hard to install. The OE ones much easier. I try to keep a stash of flexible used seals as they are the best solution by far (new seals still make the windows hard to close). Second thing: slip it in with Astroglide! I've used it for front & rear window installs.

http://www.astroglide.com/FreeSample/
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread would devolve....
    I'm actually shocked it took this long!
    The seals I bought were from IMC, a parts supplier, the part #
    says that it's an o.e.m. supplier to Porsche, not the "uro" brand.
    The seal was easy to install, but keeps popping out in the latch area.