Thread: Testing design for fuel tank / engine skid plates - ST-classic

Testing design for fuel tank / engine skid plates - ST-classic

I didn't want to hijack the for sale thread of another member , but now that it seems members are having trouble with supply here is where i'm at .
    I have made and tested a design since christmas making some tweeks as we go , today we where making the first set that will be the final design so we could work out time / materials / weight for shipping etc... hope too be ready to take orders in approx 2 weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

well its a long road to get the perfect product , not there yet , but very close.
    I have had alot of emails asking where i'm at and i have the almost finished the production product i just need to decide on final spec's

We need to remember that i am making these in nz and shipping is a killer . I decided that i needed to make them to make the best of all issues (weight vs cost vs use) and really treat them at the end of the day as a replaceable item, or the weight /material would end up unworkable.

The front pan is light but will have a thin layer on teflon plastic between the pan and the tank to act as a buffer from a hit. pricing should be in the ball park to allow it to be replaced if damaged . And if damaged ,but saves your tank, you are a winner. the rear mounting brackets are boxed for strength but also keeps it light. I have fitted these to a 72/73/76 cars with 65/85 and 85ltr plastic tanks and it fits well but the mounting are slightly different on each so should the brackets be welded to the pan and the buyer will need to "tweek" or should we bolt the brackets allowing "play" in the fit ? total weight 1.65kgs

the rear pan is much heaver material to really handle the hits but lighter brackets in comparison. The idea being that the brackets are sacrificial if whacked badly . We will have spares available. They will also have a few well placed teflon packers to spread weight if hit.
    Weight on these is 3.45kgs

due to size the only shipping option is courier adding to the cost .

so shipping only rear pan approx $100 and front approx $70 , final item cost to be sorted soon . the first run will be order only so pm me to be added to the list and then i will have only a couple of each in stock.

feed back please
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

we have been trialing a unit on one of my cars , cutting and tweaking as we go . The material is quite rigid but there are key points in the center that need extra safety, one being the clutch arm . So today we have been marking and mocking key spots for teflon blocks to act as buffers from hits and spread the hit load to solid locations.

pic is mock up unit only
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

Reproduction Rear Skid Plate

What's happening with these?

Didja get past the 'mock-up' stage?

BIG fan o' this kinda stuff

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    What's happening with these?

Didja get past the 'mock-up' stage?

BIG fan o' this kinda stuff

Thanks for the follow up on this , right at the moment i am in the middle of a house reno and getting ready to shift( hence why i have been quite on the forum) once in the new place i will be on to all the items i have designed in cad inc one done this week RS / RSR front cooler. sorry for the delays.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook